Hi Jenny and Ana!

Many thanks for your responses, and your contributions to the Zine! It is so generative to think of your two pieces in conversation with one another, and while I would not have immediately thought, it really bears interesting questions of labor, aesthetics, and practice. I wanted to go back to Jenny's point about robots and labor, and I wondered if you both could speak to some of the ways the traditions of labor, such as literary scholar, and as industrial designer, and delving into robotics, and in Ana's case, into fiction to render these ideas possible. Moreover, how does labor run through the subject of your pieces as well, I immediately think of Big Dog, and the transgressions of robotic art.

best,

Margaret

On 2017-05-29 10:51, Ana Monroe wrote:
Hi All!
Thanks again for including me in this exciting discussion. I apologize
for my delay in reply; this discussion week caught me in the beaches,
boulder fields, and bogs of Iceland, where I was participating in an
annual feminist engagement with a small group of long time friends and
collaborators. Needless to say, while this this environment was
stimulating, exciting, and fascinating (we talked a lot about Earth
Sciences), it was not conducive to replying to emails in a timely
manner.

I've often reflected on the humanization that people foist onto robots
and machine aids. I found this resonant with both Jenny's work, Petit
Mal, as well as in Margaret's work, Algorithm Beam. In the latter, I
found myself in the position of the poet. When reading, I see my
child, my program, in the work. I lovingly write the little,
proscribed language that, when read in sequence, can deliver to me a
great delight: a red light, just as I told her to do! A command
fulfilled; I am satisfied. She's so filial, my child. But in the
moment following the moment of triumph, I find myself disappointed as
well: a daughter who only does what I say? That is so lonely, so
narcissistic, so limited-to-myself. I have never wanted a child in my
own image.

In my read, Jenny's study of Big Dog enters the machine-human
interaction into a couple ancient conversations. The first two in my
mind are (1) servant-master relationship and (2) the
human-animal-civilization complex. In regards to (1), if a person owns
a thing, is it a crime to abuse it, physically? If it damages the
thing to kick it, or to drive it until its parts fail, can the person
be held responsible? Current society draws the line as sentience,
speaking to point (2). As an example, if a person drives a Chevy
Silverado until it comes apart, then it not a crime. If a person
drives a horse or mule or dog until it is lame or dies, then yes, it
is a crime. Big Dog uses reasoning so advanced that it could appear to
be sentient.  Does that advanced reasoning / mimicked sentience mean
it should not be beaten, kicked, or driven until it falls apart? I
would answer no. But my answer isn't couched in an explicit concern
for Big Dog as equivalent to a real dog.

It is, instead, couched in my concern for the human resultant from the
humanity that has most likely been imposed on Big Dog by its humans. A
human who finds that they have driven their Chevy Silverado to the
point that it comes apart will often express emotional distress
similarly to those expressed at the loss of an animal like a horse,
mule, or dog. A human who abuses a thing like Big Dog may not be
hurting a real dog, but may be hurting himself or others around him
with his cruelty to this non-sentient but emotionally laden object. A
conclusion that then leads me to reflect on the necessity of
considering objects as having discreet and staggeringly important
histories, which which Jenny referred at the latter end of her piece.
Petit Mal was really such an interesting piece of writing. Thank you
so much for sharing this.

In answer to Margaret's question, my interest in robots stems from my
formal and informal study of (1) as an industrial designer, the
humanization of objects on the parts of humans and (2) as a historian,
the economic impact of technological access across societies. As
someone from a rural area, I can trace in my personal history the
points at which access to technology divided me from childhood
friends, shifting the trajectories of our lives away or towards each
other. Formalizing this study during my graduate work in Uganda, I
find that one of the more understudied and interesting aspects of the
current technological paradigm is the uneven distribution of
technology - not just luxury technology - but work-a-day or simple
technology, across populations.

The practice of imaging the near future and its technological
a-symmetry in the form of a short story actually came quite naturally
to me. Short stories have often been vehicles for criticism and
satire, and I explicitly wanted to avoid taking on a technologically
rigorous approach so as to talk about the relationships humans have
with each other, with non-sentient machine objects, sentient beings,
quasi-sentient beings, and artificial, non-machine sentient beings. In
the story, I wanted to produce a binary in which two societies are
tied together in political and economic name but are extremely divided
in practice. How will these societies use technology differently from
one another? What values will be foregrounded by interpretation and
how will those values differ across the societies in question?

In contrast to this comfortable-to-me approach to examining these
topics through short story in my thesis, I found the process of
choosing the excerpts for the Zine quite terrifying. Because I wish to
discuss things that are not quite nice and because short stories are
packed with topics, cutting any one out threatened to deflate or
flatten the story. I'm not entirely sure I made these excerpts
correctly. I'm still conflicted. But I think that the practice of
having to select was good for me in terms of developing as a writer.
Having to make decisions, to make cuts, caused me to see the story in
a new light and to choose to foreground episodes which, in the larger
structure, I could blend together.

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 2:32 PM, J. Rhee <rhee.jennife...@gmail.com>