Hi, Ana,

I’m sorry that your post got cycled into my “clutter” box and I’ve just located
it.  It’s so interesting and important that you flag the significance of early
listservs for their activism.  Thanks ever so much for calling attention to the
history of Stumble Upon.  Your own posts have so motivated and informed me over
the years.

Another parallel project from the early days of listservs and what I think of
as “digital discourse” is CTHEORY (ctheory.net) overseen by Arthur and
Marilouise Kroker.  Although an electronic journal, the Kroker’s project served
very much as a forum for digital activism at the moment that listservs where
assembling themselves.  A couple of years before Melinda founded –empyre-, I
collaborated with Arthur and Marilouise to co-curate CTHEORY MULTIMEDIA
(ctheorymultimedia.cornell.edu) as a means to providing a conceptual home for
activist pieces of internet art, addressing focused subjects such as “Tech
Flesh: The Promise and Perils of the Human Genome Project,” “Wired Ruins:
Digital Terror and Ethnic Paranoia,” and “Netnoise.”

I remember first talking with Melinda about –empyre- when she presented it at
ISEA Nagoya in 2002 and feeling empowered by how this interactive discursive
network could activate and extend the kind of uni-directional projects of
CTHEORY.  Some of the most satisfying months I’ve moderated on –empyre- over
the years have brought together various international artists and digital
activists whose posts have enlivened the community.  Your positive and
affirmative posts always have worked to bring together –empyreans- to think
collectively about the challenges and opportunities presented to us by digital
culture.

Ricardo and Patrick already have signaled nettime and other early listservs,
and it would be cool if others on the list could also post about their activist
work on listservs and social media.

Cheers,

Tim

Timothy Murray
Director, Cornell Council for the Arts and Curator, CCA Biennial
http://cca.cornell.edu
Curator, Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art
http://goldsen.library.cornell.edu <http://goldsen.library.cornell.edu/>
Professor of Comparative Literature and English

B-1 West Sibley Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853

On 2/11/18, 12:10 AM, "empyre-boun...@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au on behalf of