Murat, and others,

Perhaps we are partially in agreement. I use the term noise to refer to
the fluctuations of the universe that are beyond our complete
understanding. And I believe that there will never be complete
understanding...we will never be able to predict, for example, the exact
movements of every leaf on a tree in the breeze, the exact behavior of
our cat, the exact results of a decision by a premier. So "letting noise
be noise" means learning to engage with these unpredictable aspects of
the world. Again, quoting Serres in /Genesis/:

"Noise is a turbulence, it is order and disorder at the same time, order
revolving on itself through repetition and redundancy, disorder through
chance occurrences, through the drawing of lots at the crossroads, and
through the global meandering, unpredictable and crazy." (59)

Or:

"A philosophy of communications conceives the message as order, meaning
or unit, but it also con­ceives the background noise from which it
emerges." (110)

Or,

"The cosmos is not a structure, it is a pure multiplicity of ordered
multiplicities and pure multiplicities. It is the global basis of all
structures, it is the background noise of all form and information, it
is the milky noise of the whole of our messages gathered together. We
must give it a new name, definitely: it is a mixture, tiger-striped,
motley, mottled, zebra­ streaked, variegated, and I don't know what all,
it is a mix or a crasis, it is a mixed aggregate, it is an
intermittence. The most global concept, by good fortune and freedom, is
not a unitary one. Order is never more than an island or an archipelago.
In the midst of the multiple, one finds universe-isles." (111-112)

Best,

Nick

On 3/20/2018 5:57 PM, Murat Nemet-Nejat wrote:

> [...]
>>>     events and workshops currently based in Ipswich UK, and via a
>>>     PhD thesis being completed at the School Of Creative Media in
>>>     Hong Kong.
>>>     http://ryanjordan.org/
>>>     http://nnnnn.org.uk/
>>>
>>>     Sarah Simpson
>>>
>>>     Sarah Simpson holds as Master's Degree in the History of Art
>>>     from University College London and a Bachelor's Degree in both
>>>     Art History and Archaeology from Cornell University. Originally
>>>     from Binghamton, NY, she currently resides in Brooklyn, NY.
>>>     Sarah has held a range of positions in the art world including
>>>     Curatorial Assistant, Gallery Manager, and, most recently,
>>>     Publicist. She's worked in The Whitney Museum of American Art,
>>>     BRIC, Didier Aaron, and Blue Medium. Sarah has a personal blog,
>>>     as well, where she writes about exhibitions and theoretical
>>>     concepts that strike her interest, such as museum gift shops
>>>     (which are absolutely fascinating):
>>>     https://ecloart.wordpress.com/
>>>
>>>     Gianluca Pulsoni
>>>
>>>     Gianluca Pulsoni is a Ph.D. student in the Romance Studies
>>>     Department of Cornell University (Italian section). He holds an
>>>     MA in Cultural Anthropology from the University La Sapienza in
>>>     Rome, Italy, with a thesis on Gianikian and Ricci Lucchi's
>>>     cinema and exhibitions. He is a contributing writer to the
>>>     Italian newspaper, Il Manifesto -- its cultural pages and
>>>     weekly, Alias. Also, he has experience working with digital
>>>     companies and publishing houses in Italy as editor and translator.
>>>
>>>     all the best
>>>     Junting

>>>     empyre forum
>>>     empyre@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au
>>>     <mailto:empyre@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au>
>>>     http://empyre.library.cornell.edu
>>>     <http://empyre.library.cornell.edu>

>>     empyre forum
>>     empyre@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au
>>     <mailto:empyre@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au>
>>     http://empyre.library.cornell.edu <http://empyre.library.cornell.edu>
>
>     --
>     Nicholas A. Knouf, Ph. D.
>     Assistant Professor, Cinema and Media Studies Program
>     Wellesley College, 106 Central Street, Wellesley, MA 02481
>     Office: JAC 357A   Office Phone: 781.283.2105
>     <tel:%28781%29%20283-2105>   Fax: 781.283.3647
>     <tel:%28781%29%20283-3647>
>     PGP: 0xAB50A0D9
>     /How Noise Matters to Finance
>
> <https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/how-noise-matters-to-finance>/
>     available now!

>     empyre forum
>     empyre@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au
>     <mailto:empyre@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au>
>     http://empyre.library.cornell.edu <http://empyre.library.cornell.edu>

> empyre forum
> empyre@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au
> http://empyre.library.cornell.edu

--
Nicholas A. Knouf, Ph. D.
Assistant Professor, Cinema and Media Studies Program
Wellesley College, 106 Central Street, Wellesley, MA 02481
Office: JAC 357A   Office Phone: 781.283.2105   Fax: 781.283.3647
PGP: 0xAB50A0D9