Hi all,

Sorry I have dissolved into the wrong week.
I hope it doesn't cause too much noise with the discussion.

There was one point which Noralyn mentioned on the 20th, that of alchemy and specifically the parts of putrefaction and fermentation, with which I thought I could share a practical experience.

I have been trying to decode the alchemical instructions for breeding basilisks. The first part of which I deduced as burying 20 cocks eggs, within a sealed clay pot, in a dung heap for 40 days and 40 nights. I assume the heat given off by the dung heap (I am no alchemist or scientist by the way) caused the eggs to ferment slightly. The smell once the pot was opened was putrid. It was almost as if you could see the smell oozing over the pot and crawling along the floor and sinking deep within the pores of my skin and refused to leave, even after many repeated washes. It made me wretch. Literally noise; nausea.

Ryan.

On 2018-03-20 04:05, Noralyn Neumark wrote:
Hi Junting and all

Thanks for inviting me into this fascinating discussion. I’d like to
provide a bit of background to my thinking and work with noise —
from the 90s to present day.

(Sorry the formatting seems to have gone a bit dirty… no sooner
spoken of than enacted!)

Noise first appealed to me as a dirty antidote to ‘modern’
aesthetics of clean, bright, white, mono-cultural future and all the
ecological and political problems that has evoked. In the sound world
that included the early digital promises of ‘clean’ sound.
Historically cleanliness has been a way to distinguish the clean,
white, proper, and quiet bourgeois self from the dirty, messy noisy,
carnally excessive, sexually out of control working class and
colonials (great book about this was Peter Stallybrass and Allon
White, _The Politics and Poetics of Transgression_  l986).  I liked
how this history complicated the pleasures and political effects of
"clean" sound. Perhaps someone might comment too on the cultural
specificity of this take on dirt and noise – a Chinese friend of
mine in Australia pointed out to me that where she came from noise is
a sign of happiness and prosperity.

One of the things I got interested in to listen differently, in a more
messy and polyphonic way, was alchemy – a practice of knowing and
doing. Looking into the seven gates of the alchemical process, I
really responded to putrefaction: putrefaction and fermentation. The
moment of putrefaction is bodily. All your senses are assaulted.  This
is a moment resonant with Julia Scher’s “dirty data” (1995
_Danger Dirty Data
_https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/54044338?q&versionId=67005692 ) The
alchemist smells decomposition, hears the noise of the dung beetle,
recalling the stench and noise of the transformative process within
ourselves. Putrefaction undoes the clean and proper, noiseless
bourgeois subject’s body.

It is during the _nigredo_ of alchemy, which might occur at any gate,
that you come most thoroughly and noisily unstuck. A moment of deepest
despair so familiar and resonant for most artists.  You are plunged
into something awful, but essential. There is a raucous cacophony of
pain/noise -- beetles, ravens, green lions -- human/inhuman
caterwauling that echoes, redoubles and exceeds the noise of Michel
Serres in his most multiple unpredictable turbulent moment. The
_nigredo_ is an intensity of matter/ing, of meaning/meaninglessness,
of noise and information, an intensity so great and terrible that
there is nothing left but to do the Work. (I made a radio work with
Alchemy, _Separation Anxiety_, for ABC in Australia and New American
Radio in the US – that was a long time ago but this discussion has
made me think about it again now.)

I hadn’t thought about dirt much lately til recently working with
the ultimate decomposers/composers -- worms -- and attuning to a noisy
collaborative voice together. https://workingworms.net/
https://vimeo.com/247735081

In another register, recently as I’ve been thinking about voice and
new materialism I’ve been noticing the voice of nausea – which
recalls the opening points for this month about noise and nausea. In
_Voicetracks_ I wrote about Kathy High’s wonderful video work
_Domestic Vigilancia _from_ Everyday Problems of the living_ -- the
voice of her vomiting cat that gave me so much to think about. Since
he alerted my senses and thinking to the vomiting voice, I’m hearing
it all over the media. Does anyone have any ideas on why so many films
have scenes of nausea and vomiting lately? It’s like vomit has
replaced sex as the required transgressive gesture. The gut speaks…

all the best
Norie
www.out-of-sync.com [1]
https://workingworms.net/