Hi all,
I've been on the road all day and have just found a rest stop with wireless.

More on narrative: I¹d like to branch out from projects that explore the
body  as ³the site or sites of multiple struggles, ambiguously positioned in
the reproduction of social habits, requirements, and regulations and in all
sorts of production of unexpected and unpredictable linkages² and look at
projects that track artifacts of the body in space and place, with various
ways of referencing the body as a tracking device for reading the
landscape.
Earlier in this month¹s conversation, Christina McPhee discussed her project
Tesserae of Venus, that explores the buckling or folding of skin: the skin
of the body, the skin of drawings of technological landscapes as these
drawings buckle and fold over time in the weather, the skin of the
photograph documenting this deterioration over time, the skin of the earth
as it submits to processes of energy extraction and other kinds of
technological deformations, the skin of the buckling surface of the
carbon-saturated landscape of Venus, the cultural/architectural buckling
that occurs as  ³biological systems clash and meet with technological
landscapes at the urban edge. In an online interview, she refers to this as
an exploration of ³some sort of granularity of scale between the human body
and geologic form.²  Ultimately the photographs and video are the top layer
of skin, shed as a narrative form from this process. . ³Fault-seeking,
fault-finding, the performance drawings suggest field notes to a geophysical
and psychic space that can only be realized in brief.²

In a project that focuses more on memory and the archaeology of the ground
one stands on, Teri Rueb¹s ³Core Sample² creates a GPS-equipped,
headset-equipped  sound walk in which the walking body reads the landscape
of Spectacle Island in Boston Harbor, a former dump and reclaimed landfill
park visible just off the coast.  This project does not focus on issues of
body trauma, but on the wanderings of the walker as a kind of playback head
on the landscape, with the walker¹s coordinates, including elevation
relative to sea level, corresponding to exact points of narrative in the
geological, archaeological, industrial, the more current recreational layers
of the island¹s geological surface and including the
technologically-determined atmosphere above the island as well.   With each
step, the walker encounters geospatial tags and engages audio narrative of
the many layers of density of information: the geological record and
satellite communication, air traffic control of the nearby airport, the
archaeological record of native cultures on the island, the artifacts of the
increasing speed and violence of usage of the last 150 years, the current
recreational use of the island as a park.   Engaging the unselfconsciousness
of the walker as a kind of empty state, the walker moves over and through
the layers of human and nonhuman activity, engaging a four-dimensional map
of narrative of the landscape.

The body¹s movement through the gentle recreational location spools out its
embedded narratives, ³all sorts of production of unexpected and
unpredictable linkages².  The body¹s path reveals the location of the place
in space extending from the geological core to the orbital¹s of satellites,
its location in a historical continuum of production, consumption,
forgetting, cultural erasure.
Sarah