I¹m going to attempt to draw a thread through a number of different folds of
this discussion.

Where does the meaning of the work happen?  Where is the ³screen²?

Johannes raises an interesting contrast between land art projects of the
1970s, and other more contemporary projects (in his reference to Ingold¹s
³Against Soundscape² (³the enwinded (breathing ) body as a continuous moving
experiencer of sound in continuous changing emplacements²) in which the
phenomenological experience of the viewer/mover to the landscape provides a
kind of feedback that gives the work its meaning.  Sound walks like Teri
Rueb¹s Core Sample do not take into account the viewer/mover¹s feedback,
except positional feedback, in order to yield their narrative‹the narrative
becomes meaningful because it¹s mostly about what is invisible, what could
not be directly experienced, what is absent, or remembered‹as overlaid on
the landscape. So the viewer¹s response to the landscape itself is
secondary, not unimportant but not where the meaning unfolds.  As Hana says,
³Teri is using geological layers as her Œscreen¹², i.e., meaning takes shape
in resonance with these hidden layers, as delivered through the audio.

Hana talks about the social construction of the body as dependent on the
context of place, on the relationship between a particular body in a
particular place‹that it is in this active encounter that bodies become
socially inscribed.

³I¹m talking about the gesture as political performance (which is obviously
possible) and the politics of public space (which is obviously contested)
and the site of the body (also contested) in space.²

She is saying, I think, that the ³gesture as political performance² is
individual and not dependent on context, while engaging the ³politics of
public space² actually engages the live dynamics of the public space,
political and otherwise, and is context-dependent, ³situated².  The
³screen², or the plane on which meaning is inscribed or projected, is a
dynamic surface that exists between the place and all participants, viewers,
passersby, anyone invested or engaged in the relationships with that place.

One of the ideas I¹m interested in working with in interactivity in
performance is Bergson¹s idea of the ³image du corps², the way in which the
subject perceives their own body, and the ³image de corps², the body as a
perceptive apparatus through which the world is being processed. As
Bernadette Wegenstein, terms it, ³This means that the image is itself
produced by the body (autoreceptive), the intermediary source of all images
(corpocentrism).  In other words, the body is at the same time mirror or
screen for the images from the outside and the perceptive center; the body
is Œwhat takes shape at the center of perception¹.²

It¹s this idea of the body as dynamic screen, as image-receiving,
image-generating surface, that interests me.  Using sensor-media
technologies is a kind of paradigm for exploring this set of ideas.  I can
willingly attest to the kinds of nerve-frying frustrations and breakdowns in
using sensor technologies that Johannes so vividly describes; and yes,
perhaps the promise is obliterated by the problems. I¹m not sure, having had
lots of difficulties and just a few more satisfying experiences, which at
least came later.

Hana says: "I think it would be very interesting  to see Sarah¹s performers
[with dis/abilities] engage in this interactive performance within the
context of public space, the every day city.  To have the  movement traces
projected on a public wall.  For me, these writings  in public place might
have more of the political effect that we are referring to, as the place is
infused with social values that the  traces then refute and/or rewrite."

Hana's suggestion is certainly probably a more politically effective
proposal, and there have certainly been incredible public performances
engaging dis/abilities or difference in these ways, see again Lisa Bufano's
stilt dance; Circus Amok's street theater, to name just two).  But locative
practices have a different ³screen² of inscription: the body constructed in
interaction with the world‹action more than perception? How to construct the
body and the world in a continuous perceptual synthesis, in public space?
The complexity of such a narrative lends itself to being explored in the
"heterotopic" space of performance, where the screen is the body itself and
the space it constructs, but perhaps the focus moves too far outside the
body in the open dynamics of public space.
Sarah