Wow, great to mention Victor Papanek. I knew him back when I was a
student at the Kansas city art institute.  I remember his bouyant
personality and very dry wit.  We have his little book -- containing
really the seeds of everything important about design as a generative
radical discipline.  Terry and I try to teach from this ground every
day.  It is fantastic to learn how Brooke is taking this on.. On the
level of pragmatics much like Papanek.

Exciting discussion....

Christina

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 20, 2009, at 12:38 PM, nicholas knouf <na...@cornell.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> The chemical industry really took off after World War II. In the
>>> United
>>> States, synthetic organic chemical production has grown more than
>>> thirty-fold since 1940. Today industry produces billions of tons of
>>> chemicals per year of approximately 90,000 substances. These man-
>>> made
>>> chemicals are the foundation of our built environment. They form our
>>> plastics, cosmetics, household cleaners, pharmaceuticals, resins,
>>> pesticides, food packaging, paper, clothing, flame-retardants,
>>> electronics,
>>> solvents, paint, automobile parts, mattresses, lumber, pigments,
>>> refrigeration, detergents, PVC, silicone, dry cleaning,
>>> disinfectants,
>>> lubricants  the list is truly endless.
>>>
>>> Many of these chemicals and the byproducts produced during their
>>> life
>>> cycle
>>> are stable and persist in the environment. These chemicals also
>>> bio-accumulate, meaning they increase in concentration as they
>>> move up the
>>> food chain. Chemicals can travel great distances on currents of
>>> wind and
>>> water, making remote regions like the Arctic just as susceptible to
>>> degradation.
>>>
>>> New research demonstrates that some of these pollutants, even at
>>> very low
>>> doses, can cause serious health problems. Previously it was
>>> thought that
>>> decreasing the concentration of a substance would mitigate its
>>> impact.
>>> Dilution is no longer seen as the pollution solution. Timing of
>>> exposure
>>> is
>>> crucial and sensitivity is particularly high when exposure occurs
>>> in utero
>>> or early development.
>>>
>>> For many years, cancer was the primary health concern. Today,
>>> laboratory
>>> studies and wildlife observations demonstrate that chemical
>>> dangers are
>>> extensive. Chemical exposures disrupt endocrine, reproductive,
>>> immune and
>>> nervous systems as well as contribute to cancer and other diseases.
>>>
>>> In its first scientific statement published in 2009, The Endrocrine
>>> Society
>>> -- an international body with 14,000 members founded in 1916 --
>>> stated:
>>> "Results from animal models, human clinical observations, and
>>> epidemiological studies converge to implicate EDCs [endocrine-
>>> disrupting
>>> chemicals] as a significant concern to public health."
>>>
>>> The United States government does not require manufacturers to
>>> prove a
>>> chemical is safe before use and companies generally do not
>>> voluntarily do
>>> so. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has only required
>>> testing
>>> for some 200 of the 90,000 chemicals already in circulation. In
>>> response,
>>> many groups and concerned citizens are promoting the precautionary
>>> principle, which states that the manufacture of certain products
>>> should
>>> cease even when there are only hypothetical and untested risks. This
>>> places
>>> the burden of proof on the industry to show that a substance is safe
>>> rather
>>> than on society to demonstrate there is a specific risk.
>>>
>>> Some scientists are creating new frameworks, citing the failure of
>>> the
>>> scientific method alone to sufficiently protect human health and
>>> ecological
>>> effects. Funtowicz and Ravetz, for example, have introduced