Dear Kevin, Ricardo, Nick and Brooke,

I think we are okay to talk about this stuff online.  I'm hoping those in
Administrative posts will use our think tank as a way to enlighten
themselves about other alternatives.  For me option 4 is mighty tempting
but structurally within many Visual Arts departments seems impossible.
Anyone else have any great ideas?  Renate

> Glad to see the HCI discussion come up here, and in the context of
> questions about Design in education. Perhaps I'm just pessimistic, but
> I don't think we have long before today's "New Media" programs are
> squeezed out of fine arts curricula by  HCI and its cousins in
> Industrial Design and Graphic Design. HCI is hard to distinguish for
> many an upper-level administrator from the Digital Media / New Media
> programs born in the last ten years. The confusion is understandable
> from a distance, as HCI borrows increasingly from New Media and
> Computer Arts for methods, media, and even critical language - all to
> the consumerist ends outlined by Nick.
>
> It's easy for students to distinguish between the two, however, given
> the easy product tie-ins of HCI and other design education. Much
> current design education is, as Nick implies, essentially an exercise
> in meta-shopping. (Who's a better shopper than the one who hangs
> around the factory line?) I fully expect that the sort of hires that
> resulted in our current, even mildly-critical digital arts programs
> will not come again, except perhaps for in the most elite and high-
> price-tag programs of the world.
>
> So what are we to do, if we care about exercising a role as educators
> and researchers beyond the provision of politicized recess for
> students who won't need to work for a living after school?
>
> 1 - Make hay (or raise Cain?) while the sun shines - this seems to be
> the bang.lab approach, as far as I can tell ( I can't imagine that
> Calit2 will support these projects for long-term? If so, then great!)
> T.A.Z., tactics over strategies, all that temporary stuff is always
> possible, and maybe the only way. (I also think here of Wodizcko,
> trained as an Industrial Designer, but taking Papandek's ideas and
> moving right out of that field in the 60s/70s.)
>
> 2 - Prepare for the inevitable change in our institutional waters, by
> acquainting ourselves with the methods of our future partners/bosses/
> overlords, making ready to live in their world as critical members who
> ask tough, informed questions.
>
> 3 - Identify our current work as "preservable," something to be
> protected in the name of knowledge, like the older arts of traditional
> glass and ceramics.
>
> 4 - Depart from the arts and sciences altogether, to identify
> ourselves with media studies in the humanities. (Christiane, can you
> speak to this option?) Bank on the whole "practice-based research"
> trend, keeping a wary eye on the Social Sciences as possible,
> occasional, collaborator.
>
> I'm trying a little bit of all these things myself, with increasing
> hope for option #4. In addition to skepticism about the consumerist
> ends of design and arts education, I'm also looking to steer clear of
> the technocratic, ahistorical progress machine of modern science
> (sustainability as economic catalyst).
>
> Any thoughts? Maybe a public listserv isn't the safest place to have
> [...]

Renate Ferro
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Art
Cornell University, Tjaden Hall
Ithaca, NY  14853

Email:   <r...@cornell.edu>
Website:  http://www.renateferro.net

Co-moderator of _empyre soft skinned space
http://www.subtle.net/empyre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empyre

Art Editor, diacritics
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/dia/