Hi Thyrza,

Thanks for these challenging questions.  Two of your comments were striking for
me.

First, this question about animation subsuming cinema.  I think that, although
this formulation ultimately proved awkward and less useful than intended (and
we probably wouldn't want to embrace now), it did address a sense that
something was changing in media, and suddenly animation - or animations and
animation techniques - appeared central to media studies, and film studies
began to rethink that field as 'moving image studies.'  at one level, there
were profound changes in production industries that many media scholars have
highlighted - for instance, there had developed fairly secure and stable
networks of production, distribution and circulation around radio, cinema, and
television, which encouraged a sense that these really were different, almost
in an ontological manner.  Then, with new media technologies, as these
apparently stable media began to appear less stable, it was hard to describe
the new situation, but it seemed clear that animation techniques were somehow br
 idging or making new formations between the media formations that were
previously more distinct.  So the idea that animation was subsuming cinema
initially afforded a good way to sort through this.  In fact, Oshii Mamoru, the
famous animation director whose films are neither films nor animation, made
similarly bold claims that all films were becoming animation.  But then the
sense of what animation was, was also shifting.

For me (and I apologize if I am beating a cracked drum again) this situation
was an invitation to rethink moving images and media without recourse to the
unities of cinema and animation that were formerly stabilized in industrial
production and criticism.  And the notion of the 'machine' (which incidentally
is not mechanistic or autopoetic but heterogenetic) seemed timely, because it
was possible to look at things in terms of assemblages with specific kinds of
spacing or intervals that had developed and persisted across media formations.
So, for me, the animetic machine is a potential of the moving image that is
first actualized in animation techniques for historical and technical reasons,
but is not limited to animation per se.  It can enfold and 'outfold'
techniques, modes of expression, and structures yet sustain a certain relation
to the moving image, a specific indeterminacy in the sense of a spacing and a
harnessing of forces.

Second, I think this question - where are the brilliant works, and what kind of
stories would really make us care about any of this - is so important.  I wish
I had an easy answer.  On the one hand, with my students, partly because of the
kinds of animations we deal with, it is clear that folklore, epic, and myth -
in generic terms, fabulation - are central to story making.  Students seem to
grasp intuitively Bakhtin's ideas about the epic as an abstract encyclopedic
form, even if they don't like his somewhat negative evaluation.  But that
negative evaluation does raise questions for them.  On the other hand, a manga
like that of young female artist Arakawa Hiromi (Full Metal Alchemistic), which
is now a transnational media mix event, shows that such media mixes can deal
effectively with questions about genocide, fascism, gender, and technology.  I
think this is one of many brilliant works, but to understand why it has had
such impact on younger audiences, some of the terms o
 f analysis have to change.  Or Cowboy Bebop with its anime genre remix of jazz
bebop and French and Italian new wave cinema.

Such works are good points of entry into the works that we might still find
more challenging (like Passolini or Goddard) because they are not discontinuous
with them.

Thanks,

Tom