Tim and I had the wonderful opportunity of meeting the Quay Brothers here
at Cornell a couple of weeks ago.  It is at that time they recommended
Suzanne Buchan as someone they considered to be an expert in Animation
Research.  We are delighted to welcome her.

We are also happy to welcome Paul Ward whose name was sent to us by Simon
Biggs.  Paul's expertise in documentary, television and animation are sure
to add a new dimension to our discussion thus far.

Both Suzanne and Paul are new subscribers to empyre and we are hoping that
all of our subscribers will welcome them with comments and responses to
"Theorizing Animation:  Content and Context"  Suzanne and Paul will be
making introductory posts soon!

Thanks again.  Renate

Week 2: Suzanne Buchan (UK), Paul Ward (UK)

Suzanne Buchan is Professor of Animation Aesthetics and Director of the
Animation Research Centre at the University for Creative Arts, England
(www.ucreative.ac.uk/arc). She is the Editor of animation: an
interdisciplinary journal (http://anm.sagepub.com/). Her interdisciplinary
research focuses on aesthetics and theory of the manipulated moving mage
in animation, digital culture, and experimental film. Publications include
Trickraum : Spacetricks (Christoph Merian Publishers, 2005)  that
accompanied the eponymous exhibition, Animated 'Worlds' (John Libbey,
2005), and The Quay Brothers: Into the Metaphysical Playroom will be
published this year by University of Minnesota Press.

Paul Ward is a Principal Lecturer in the School of Media at the Arts
University College at Bournemouth, UK. He teaches on the BA (Hons)
Animation Production course and contributes to a cross-disciplinary MA
course. His research interests are in the fields of animation and
documentary film and television. Published work includes articles for the
journals animation: an interdisciplinary journal, Animation Journal, and
the Historical Journal for Film, Radio and Television, as well as numerous
anthology essays. Paul is also the author of Documentary: The Margins of
Reality (Wallflower Press, 2005) and TV Genres: Animation (Edinburgh
University Press, forthcoming; co-authored with Nichola Dobson). He serves
on the Editorial Boards of animation: an interdisciplinary journal and
Animation Studies and is a member of the UK Arts and Humanities Research
Council Peer Review College with special interest in animation and
documentary research proposals. Paul is the current President of the
Society for Animation Studies."

Renate Ferro
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Art
Cornell University, Tjaden Hall
Ithaca, NY  14853

Email:   <r...@cornell.edu>
Website:  http://www.renateferro.net

Co-moderator of _empyre soft skinned space
http://www.subtle.net/empyre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empyre

Art Editor, diacritics
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/dia/