hi eugenio & all,

yes, i definitely agree that community (& trust) needs to be built on common interest or connection; with UpStage it is the technology/platform that is the specific common thing - otherwise it's quite diverse, in terms of individual approach, themes, ideas, & backgrounds. the word "community" presupposes at least one point of commonality, whether it's geographic or political or social. online networks allow us on the one hand to be even more specific in our commonalities, such as the UpStage community or another example would be Furtherfield, because we can connect with likeminded people across geographical & other distances; and at the same time it becomes general to the extreme, such as facebook etc.

the point of commonality can be subtle. i remember being shown MOOs & text-based role-playing environments in the early 90s by a friend who was really excited by it, but it didn't interest me at all at the time. it wasn't until the late 90s when i encountered Desktop Theatre & their work in the Palace that something clicked & the creative/imaginative potential was suddenly obvious to me. the difference was that i had connected with others who wanted to create theatrical interventions & performances in this environment, not just role-play for our own amusement; in some senses that is a fine line, but for me it was two completely different situations. now of course i look back on the early MOO/IRC performances & recognise the roots of my cyberformance practice.

this maybe is connected to what simon has just posted about the distinction between art & creativity ... altho it is a minefield to enter into ;) we could say that facebook is a creative community, but are people making art there? (& i mean making, not promoting/distributing). i am sure that some people are ...

i am a bit wary of taxonomies, my thinking is more along the lines of axel bruns & pierre levy - that taxonomic structures are no longer appropriate for the new "knowledge space" which is fluid, ad hoc & unfinished. networked communities are also in a constant state of flux, with evolving technologies & emerging codes of behaviour.

h : )