Davin,

When I read your phrase

> And, if we live in a true community, our
> ideas and actions
> are bound to modify, be modified, contradict, and/or
> complement the
> negotiation of being.

the rose-colored environment of Facebook immediately came to mind. You know,
you can "like" but not "dislike", and people rarely disagree or contradict each
other. You say that we are bound to be contradicted when we live in a true
community, and I would say that we actually need to be contradicted in order to
set arguments, discussions and debates in motion. The fact that we are here at
empyre, not necessarily contradicting each other, but offering continuous
counterpoints and different viewpoints, makes us all richer. Knowledge can
emerge from disagreement. So, in the almost complete absence of a minimal quota
of agonistic exchanges between people, how can a community emerge from
Facebook? Are there so many contradictions and conflicts in the "real world"
that we turn to Facebook simply to escape from them? Could we then see Facebook
as an "anti-community", where we all just whiz by other poeple's walls,
stopping only to acknowledge what we like and
 ignoring what we don't?

Eugenio.