[relay to all those who did not receive this per e-mail]

Thank you to Alan for inviting me to this month’s empyre discussion.
As the new kid on the bloc, I hope to learn quickly the lay of the land & to be
shorter in the future!
As a form of introduction and because I am still working on a newer text -
don’t we always say the same thing though? - I am posting this twenty year old
text:

A 1994 text for a video installation called “JEW” featuring my videotape “Say
I’m a Jew."

AFTER ALL (50 years later)
“. . . only on the firm foundation of unyielding despair, can the soul’s
habitation be safely built.” - Bertrand Russell, 1923

Me too, I would rather not look.
Too much familiarity, my grandmother was
murdered.

In my body. Zyklon gas was an improved
form of killing.

Do I, like a drunk pleading to forget, engage with the digital modernity?
TV brain lures with stories and theories, sensation when there is none.

The body is missing. I work on TV,
taming it before it lulls me. Each cut, a wake to awake.

It takes repetition, the killing was repeated.
Is repeated. Over.

- Pier Marton, 5754/1994

Continued in Part 2.
================================

PM_uoʇɹɐɯ_ɹǝıd —> http://piermarton.info
School Of No  Media —> http://schoolofnomedia.com/
About —> http://about.me/piermarton
BrainBleed—> http://brainbleed.wordpress.com/

One of the signs of passing youth is the birth of a sense of fellowship with
other human beings as we take our place among them. Virginia Woolf
The essence of normalcy is the refusal of reality. Ernst Becker
When something seems "the most obvious thing in the world," it means that any
attempt to understand the world has been given up. Bertolt Brecht
An idea becomes false the moment one becomes satisfied by it. Alain
There are no dangerous thoughts; thinking itself is dangerous. Hannah Arendt
When around you, you hear the word "Jew" pronounced, be on guard, they are
speaking about you. Frantz Fanon
If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor
freedom and yet renounce controversy are people who want crops without
ploughing the ground. Frederick Douglass
Silence is the authentic mode of speaking. Claude Lanzmann