Here's how I do it, works pretty well:

- the build is described through cmake, target platforms are either
Windows, Linux, OSX or via cross-compiling iOS, Android, emscripten and
PNaCl

- for cross-compiling-platforms, cmake toolchain files are used (see here
for the emscripten toolchain
file:
https://github.com/floooh/fips/blob/master/cmake-toolchains/emscripten.toolchain.cmake)

- for Windows and OSX (and iOS) target platforms, VisualStudio and Xcode
projects are generated and most development happens in those IDEs because a
debugger is available (so usually I program and debug the native Windows or
OSX executable, 99% of bugs happen also on the native build and are easier
to debug there)

- for cross-compiling platforms, I usually just compile on the command line
with make or ninja (on Windows I use ninja exclusively since I didn't get
make to run outside of mingw)

- for writing emscripten, pnacl or Android-specific code I usually fall
back to VIM (or any other simple text editor), but the platform-specific
code is very little compared to the whole code base, also since debugging
on these platforms is usually not possible I use good-ole printf-debugging
there, but it's rare that there are bugs in the platform-specific code

- with cmake, you can just do 'cmake --build .' to start a command-line
build for any platform or cross-compiling scenario, this starts the right
build system for the cmake-generator that is used (VisualStudio: msbuild,
Xcode: xcodebuild, make or ninja for cross-compiling)

- I prefer OSX or Linux for emscripten work, since these have proper
command line shells, and don't have some of the Windows shell limitations
(like max number of characters in a command line, which I was running into
with emscripten builds). It may be that PowerShell doesn't have these
restrictions, alternatives may also be the new Linux subsystem in Win10, or
a VM (I use Vagrant to easily setup and launch VirtualBox VMs on Windows).
I noticed that clang is several times slower on Windows, vs OSX or Linux,
most likely caused by slower IO (e.g. building in a Linux VM in a local VM
filesystem (not shared from Windows), clang or gcc builds are also fast)

Generally I find that the greatest advantage of using an IDE is the
integrated debugger, but you don't get that in emscripten anyway, that's
basically the main reason why I haven't used the VS integration.

I also wrote a little python wrapper around cmake to better juggle the many
different build systems, but this specific solution might be too limiting
for existing projects: http://floooh.github.io/fips/

Still, thinking about a few small wrapper scripts to make the many
different build configs more manageable might be a good idea.

Hope this helps,
-Floh.