I don't know why the .mem files have that extension, I just rename them to
.mem.txt afterwards for the same effect. If you have control over your web
server config that's not an issue though. Only with github and other
hosting solution you have no full control over.

I'm tending towards moving the mem files back into the asm.js file anyway
though, my demos usually have small static data, so the separate download
isn't worth it.

Cheers,
-Floh.