That error reads like some kind of botched up command line perhaps?
The --proxy-to-worker flag should not reach clang, but should be
consumed by emcc frontend itself. Checking this out, noticed that we
did not have a test for sync Fetches in --proxy-to-worker, so added
one in https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/pull/6306, which did pass
for me when trying it out. Try double checking the command line?