The standalone/wasi support in emscripten is very basic and doesn't have
full fileystem support yet.   I would certainly recommend using wasi-sdk if
you want to run something on wasmtime.

If I ever get around to landing this PR then a lot more of the FS stuff
might start working:
https://github.com/emscripten-core/emscripten/pull/12704.   But this has
not been a priority recently.   The interesting part for me would be that
it might allow existing WASI applications to be run in the JS glue code.
i.e. take a pre-built wasi module and run `emcc --post-link` to run on the
web.