From: Emu <emu-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of John Mattsson
Sent: 10 October 2019 09:30
To: Mohit Sethi M <mohit.m.se...@ericsson.com>; Eliot Lear <l...@cisco.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-emu-eap-tl...@ietf.org; John Mattsson
<john.mattsson=40ericsson....@dmarc.ietf.org>; EMU WG <emu@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Emu] POST WGLC Comments draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13

Mohit Sethi M mohit.m.se...@ericsson.com<mailto:mohit.m.se...@ericsson.com>
wrote:

I think these are mostly TLS questions that would not be specific for
EAP-TLS-PSK

> For example: the current TLS 1.3 spec requires external PSKs to be
> provisioned for a specific hash function.

Yes, but if there is no specific hash function, SHA-256 is used as a default.

>Then there is also the discussion on how does a server handle external PSK vs.
>PSK for resumption? They will clearly be >in different parts of the stack:
>external PSKs with the EAP server and resumptions PSKs with the TLS server
>library.
>Also, should a server issue resumption PSKs when the original authentication
>is based on an external PSK. The only >benefit would be that it would make
>tracking of peers/clients much harder.

[ofriel] I wouldn’t say that the only benefit is to make tracking of
peers/clients harder. A server could use PSK for initial auth, and then issue
local credentials for the thing within the EAP tunnel. The thing can now be let
on the network immediately, and on subsequent reboots/reauths/reconnects can
use its locally issued credential. In either scenario (initial bootstrap or
subsequent reauth using the local credential), the server may issue resumption
PSKs.

Yes, but I do not see how EAP would differ from any other TLS deployment with
external PSK.

[ofriel] Agree. I do not see why EAP should place artificial constraints on
TLS. I cannot see a good reason why an EAP-TLS implementation couldn’t be coded
to have the same flexibility as any other TLS1.3 server. A particular EAP
implementation could of course choose not to support authentication PSKs, but
it seems a mistake to prohibit this in the specification.

>There is ongoing work in the TLS working group but the question is how long
>should we wait:
>https://tools.ietf.org/html/>draft-ietf-tls-external-psk-importer-01<https://tools.ietf.org/html/%3edraft-ietf-tls-external-psk-importer-01>

I see no reason to wait for that draft. What
draft-ietf-tls-external-psk-importer does is to allow a single external PSK to
be used to negotiate both TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 and TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384.
Most IoT would not want to negotiate AES-256 and SHA-384, and those who want
(like e.g. US government devices using the CSNA suite) would probably not want
to negotiate AES-128 and SHA-256. draft-ietf-tls-external-psk-importer fills a
gap in the TLS 1.3 protocol, but is not a game changer in any way.

John