On Mar 5, 2024, at 5:46 AM, Jan-Frederik Rieckers <rieck...@dfn.de> wrote:
> Well, the beauty of CBOR is that it is very easily extendable.
> I completely agree that, with the limited list of map keys, using CBOR
> instead of TLVs seems like shooting cannons at mosquitos, but if in the
> future we want to do more with this, we can.

  Extensibility also has its downsides.  If we're not sure we need the
functionality, then *unused* functionality is ripe for exploits or issues.

> Resource exhaustion is a problem in CBOR, as it is in any other
> serialization/deserialization solution.

  If we only need 3 pieces of data, none nested, then CBOR has more issues than
TLVs, due to it's inherent nesting.

  i.e. the temptation for implementors is to pass the raw CBOR data to a CBOR
library.  Which means nested structures, complex maps, etc.  And none of that
will be used by EAP-FIDO.

  For now I'd suggest concentrating on getting the crypto right, and the
request / response exchange.  Data encoding can always be changed before it's
widely implemented.

> They also limit the length of a CBOR message, with a recommendation that
> every authenticator MUST support at least messages of 1024 bytes and that
> platforms have to respect the max message length signaled by the
> authenticator.

  So EAP-FIDO would also need to negotiate / signal message length?

> We could say something similar about the allowed depth and length of the CBOR
> messages sent in EAP-FIDO.

  Is that fixed, or negotiated?

  Alan DeKok.