One of the problems that has led to so much violence against women in
Islamic societies is a refusal to take responsibility for one's actions,
and an attempt to point the finger at someone else ("I only did it because
so-and-so did such-and-such). The article by Qazi Faez Isa is not only
offensive, it is fundamentally dishonest. Obviously, the Jewish answer to
stoning for adultery is not "yes" but "no" - as is clear from every Jewish
community around the world.

What Qazi Faez Isa should be saying is that NO community other than
Islamic communities accept this practice, and that the reason it is
accepted is because those in power (from national to local levels) support
it.

These constant efforts on the part of so many in the Islamic world to turn
everything into anti-Jewish sentiment undermine the fundamental honesty
and respect for human life that underlies all efforts to end violence
against women. I would like to see more (any) Muslim women step forward
and condemn this type of statement and effort to deflect responsibility by
falsely blaming someone else. It is a reality that the cultures of many
countries in which Islam is the dominant religion support violence against
women (and others).

It is good that some Muslims are willing to say that stoning is
"un-Islamic." But it IS part of a culture that uses Islam to support
violence against anyone whom those in power find a useful victim. Until
this type of action is faced -- and condemned -- no real change will
occur.

Regards,

Carol Bretton
Women's Rights Advisor

 >Stoning to death: Zia's legacy
 >                      By Qazi Faez Isa
 >
 >Does religion prescribe the punishment of stoning for adultery? The
 >Jewish answer to this question would be 'yes'. The Old Testament,
 >explicitly depicts various adulterous sexual acts, and prescribes that
 >those indulging in them be "put to death" (Leviticus 20:10-21).

***End-violence is sponsored by UNIFEM and receives generous support from
ICAP***
subscribe end-violence OR type: unsubscribe end-violence
Archives of previous End-violence messages can be found at:
http://www.edc.org/GLG/end-violence/hypermail/