On Thursday, 21 July 2005, at 18:45:00 (+0200),
FORT Yannick wrote:

> I really think the MiB standard MUST be used, if you don't respect
> standards, you surely want people to use .doc, .xls for office use,
> MSN as a chat protocol, THIS is stupid ...

Your conclusion is not supported by your statements.  You appear to be
claiming that .doc and .xls are defiant of standards when, in reality,
they are more standard than pretty much any other document format of
their type.  Even moreso as they move toward XML.

> When i read MiB, i'm sure it's 1024*1024 B, but when i read MB, i don't
> know if it's 1000*1000 or 1024*1024, f***ing unrespected standards

"Standards" that are stupid should not be respected and should not be
allowed to be called standards.

When you read MB, you're dealing with 1024*1024 except when dealing
with (1) manufacturer specs or (2) a stupid person.  When you read
MiB, you're dealing with (1) 1024*1024 and (2) someone who, like
Microsoft, believes in catering to the lowest common denominator.

> I learn at school Kilo is 1000x and Mega is 1000*1000x, why would it
> be different for Bytes ?

Because 2^10 is 1024, not 1000, and 2^20 is 1024*1024, not 1000*1000.
Math is actually pretty simple, as it turns out.  :-)

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>