Wow, turns out this was a big misunderstanding, the docs for "step_set"
were confusing and I got the wrong end of the stick!

Instead of the elaborate plan above I will change the "step" parameter to
"grow_step" in init and in step_set and write some meaningful docs.
With that the meaning should be clear enough.

Apologies for the noise,
Andy

--
http://andywilliams.me