On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 15:47:00 -0300 Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
<vini.ipsma...@gmail.com> said:

> I've tried to pipe the output to `less`, but it didn't work. I'll test it
> against tmux later.

> > On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 14:12:27 -0300 Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
> > <vini.ipsma...@gmail.com> said:
> >
> > > Just to let you guys know that support to Terminology extended escape
> > > sequences has been added to mdcat: https://github.com/lunaryorn/mdcat
> >
> > that's awesome man!
> >
> > is there anything we can help you with? i just quickly scrolled down
> > https://github.com/lunaryorn/mdcat/pull/16 ...
> >
> > i see 2 issues. 1 is remote references. they woth for popups but not inline
> > (tycat won't work, but typop will).
>

> They worked on my tests. Maybe new code landed and you missed, but the
> media is discarded as soon as you scroll down and re-downloaded again when
> you scroll up.

tycat doesn't work because it needs to know size before emitting escapes thus
has to load the file and tycat wont bother to download.... :) but yes - the
basic media object can just download to a tmp file itself....

that's why it re-downloads. terminology will delete the media obj and re-create
as you scroll around (to save memory).

you suffer the same issues. needing to know when to keep files or not or
re-download, and to know their size without downloading them first so you know
how to flow text around them... :)

> Caching the media so I don't have to download it every time I scroll down
> or up again would be great.
>
> even if we did download them... we'd have
> > to STORE them somewhere... because we're sure not going to keep them in
> > RAM. at
> > least stored they don't take precious ram all the time. so terminology will
> > also use tmp files too with references to remote url's anyway. if you do
> > it or
> > terminology does... it won't make much of a difference. :)
>

> There's one important difference.
>
> If Terminology creates the files and cache them, then Terminology will keep
> an open fd to these files. If I clear my `/tmp` folder, Terminology will
> still work properly. mdcat can't do that as the application closes as soon
> as the file is printed.

actually like the above scrolling... it won't do that. it just remembers the
uri/file path and re-fetches to tmp file... :) sure - while it's visible there
is an open file handle...

but you could do the same. you would have to not EXIT at the end of the cat,
but wait for a key press to exit. like less/more would do. an interactive pager
built-in...

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com