On 12/08/18 07:09, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira wrote:
> Just curious. I'm not a developer.
>
> But what will happen to Gerrit? I remember one comment of Rasterman years
> ago that he fell in love with Gerrit. What will the migration mean to
> Gerrit?

Last time we changed our tools / processes we chose phab over gerrit,
now we would be using gitlab instead. So it wouldn't mean anything as we
still wouldn't be using it :-)

> [...]
>> recall, work began to modify the original FDO migration script and update
>> it to handle various features exclusive to our usage of Phabricator. Thanks
>> to generous hosting provided by the basement of the intern's parents, I was
>> able to review the work as it progressed to see if it would be worth
>> showing to the community.
>>
>> Weeks have passed, and now, thanks to many sleepless nights and long
>> weekends that this devoted intern spent doing devops work, I was able to
>> provide justification for more robust hosting and acquire a cloud service
>> to host an official proof-of-concept for a Gitlab migration:
>>
>> https://gitlab-prototype.s-opensource.org/
>>
>> Some notes:
>> * This is read-only for now
>> * User creation is disabled, don't bother trying
>> * Issues with their comments have been imported
>> * Patch submissions have been imported (the intern screwed up some of the
>> early imports so there are a few patches without the diff inlined)
>>   - Comments on patch submissions cannot be imported because Phabricator
>> has no API for retrieving comments on patch review
>> * Wiki pages are not imported since some decision-making is required
>>
>> As is easily noticeable, not all projects have been imported by my intern.
>> Importing the repo takes some time on its own, and then running the
>> migration script takes a variable amount of time on top of that depending
>> on the size of the project (EFL was estimated to take 10+ hours to fully
>> import).
>>
>> Wiki pages have not been imported. On Gitlab, a wiki is project-specific
>> and so it is impossible to do a 1:1 copy unless we decided to stick
>> everything onto a specific project. We would have to decide how we want to
>> do this.
>>
>> If we decided to switch to Gitlab, there would be a number of questions
>> that need to be answered:
>> Q: How do we migrate?
>> A: Gitlab cannot accurately mirror all of Phabricator, it can only do a
>> one-time migration of projects. This means we would at some point lock phab
>> and then begin migrating, likely over a weekend for the major projects with
>> the remainders being added later.
>>
>> Q: What happens to phab?
>> A: We would likely want to keep phab in read-only mode for a while after
>> the migration since all the migrated tickets/patches will provide links to
>> it. We can later evaluate if we need to keep it running.
>>
>> Q: Where would this be hosted?
>> A: The provided link here is a cloud service which will be funded for the
>> foreseeable future. At present I am very strongly opposed to hosting this
>> anywhere on the existing EFL infrastructure since it has been impossible
>> for anyone to get access to any part of the server or to have tasks
>> reliably handled in anything but a random and notification-less manner. A
>> community project cannot have infrastructure which is unable to be
>> accessed, managed, or maintained by the community which is using it.

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30