Here is as valid point to bring up. When was the last time the version of phab was updated? im sure there is a newer version that fixes alot of the issues that you guys might be encountering.

On 2018-09-15 08:45, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 12:57:07 +0200 Stefan Schmidt <ste...@datenfreihafen.org>
said:

Hello.

On 09/14/2018 09:48 AM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:44:52 +0200 Stefan Schmidt
> <ste...@datenfreihafen.org> said:
>> This is the core problem. OSUOL has indeed doing a great job for us over
>> the years for hosting and connectivity. But they can only be as good as
>> we allow them to be. Waiting for us for a fan to be shipped to be
>> replaced for over 6 months is nothing we are helping them with.
>>
>> To be blunt here our infra is a nightmare. To complex to manage for
>> anyone besides Beber. Beber not being available means _nothing_ changes.
>
> precisely. I would like to go back to something very simple. not a bunch of
> vm's or containers etc. ... my thoughts right now are a simple single sub
> vm on our current gentoo parent box. no fancy network layering/routing
> etc. ... then it's manageable for multiple people as it's simple and
> obvious and easy to figure out. yes. it's probably not as secure... but
> that's what the vm is for. extract the data out, and rebuild if the worst
> happens.
>
> or at least something like the above. something very simple to manage/set
> up/run etc.

As I am not going to handle anything of this my opinion on it is not
worth much. I find containers easy to use for such things. What I really want to see in the end so is a system where we have a _group_ of people
having access and understanding the system.

I totally agree. I tend to leave things alone if they work. If they don't... I often find that I have had to stick my fingers in and figure it out. I'd like others to be able to do the same. It's a necessity of our project to be able to
do this.

>> Is that was all discussed during EDD in Malta in 2017 and promised to be
>> worked on. This was 15 months ago and I see zero impact so far.
>>
>> This is not about to point fingers to Beber. He has been helping us many
>> many years as a volunteer. He has all rights to take time off or even
>> disappear completely and we still should be thankful for the work he did.
>>
>> It is however a big problem in the project if we want to self host
>> everything, but our infra is simply not ready for it.
>
> well one big big big issue is the ipmi console. i have tried to get access
> to it. i have asked cedric and beber. without that there is no way i can do
> a kernel upgrade on a gentoo host because you have to compile by hand and
> something is bound to go wrong... and without that console there is no
> rescue.

I guess you should ask Beber how to get access to IPMI (password, etc)
and if he fails to reply you would need to go back to OSUOL. They should
still have you listed as a person with rights to access, I hope (?).

I have. to both. :( I need to try again.

>> To summarize: I share your concerns on cloud hosting with sponsoring,
>> but our infra is not ready for anything new. _If_ we move to gitlab
>> having it hosted for a few months on a cloud service with a migration
>> plan to our own infra is something I consider a fair deal.
>
> my gut and experience tells em few months then becomes a few years and then
> something goes wrong and we're in a dark place. :(

Not much difference from the dark place we are in right now with our own
infrastructure. :(

At least it's ours and we aren't footing a monthly bill...

> my take is that if there is to be any move in addition to it "being worth
> it" we have to get our infra into shape FIRST. let this be the kick in the
> pants to do that. if we just put that off then it will just never happen as
> above.

This is something I do not agree with. I have been kicking into pants
for problems with the infra for _years_ when doing Jenkins. It has
changed nothing and I moved over to cloud services to get the control
and flexibility I needed.

This is a result of policy from Beber of giving pretty minimal VM's with limited ram/disk with gentoo. We have the resources - they are just not being assigned and being able to provision your own is far too complex with what we have. If all you had to do was run some libvirt cmds to spin up a new VM of
whatever size/config you wanted , I think you'd be fine.

Making a fixed infra a dependency for the potential move to gitlab is
not reasonable in my opinion. Forcing it to wait on something that has
not happened in 15 months and putting the extra work on the shoulders on
people who want to handle the move. Its like telling someone who wants
to add a new elm widgets to finish interfaces and get it out of beta
first. :-)

It's a change of management/direction away from being dumped onto the
community's laps. What we have works. It has its warts. Everything else does
too.

The infra problem should get tackled and if enough people are supporting a move to gitlab and doing the work it would be fair to let them to this
in parallel.

I know Beber is really busy with his job etc. so realistically this is going to
just have to get done brute-force.

Looks like I'm going to do the server myself then. Bebebr doesn't have the time and I might know the servers best after Beber (a long way after mind you). What I'm going to do is make a single "big fat" VM with Ubuntu server to put everything in and move one thing at a time into it. This way I can replace the parent Gentoo OS later on when I get to, but first I'm going to have to wait
for my stuff to arrive so I can try the VPN + IPMI again.