On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:57:27 +0100 Bertrand Jacquin <bertr...@jacquin.bzh> said:

> > > This is something I do not agree with. I have been kicking into pants
> > > for problems with the infra for _years_ when doing Jenkins. It has
> > > changed nothing and I moved over to cloud services to get the control
> > > and flexibility I needed.
> >
> > This is a result of policy from Beber of giving pretty minimal VM's with
> > limited ram/disk with gentoo. We have the resources - they are just not
> > being assigned and being able to provision your own is far too complex with
> > what we have. If all you had to do was run some libvirt cmds to spin up a
> > new VM of whatever size/config you wanted , I think you'd be fine.
>
> Well, e5 clearly has not enough memory and CPU to support all the build
> ran by Jenkins, this is why we had to split the building instances from

That I just don't buy. I compile all of e, efl, terminology, rage on a
raspberry pi with 768m ram (256 partitioned off to gpu) and do parallel
builds... and can run a gui at the same time. e5 has 48gb of ram. last i heard
from stefan the vm's for building had maybe 2 or 4gb ram allocated to them and
limited disk space. correct me if i'm wrong - this may have been a while ago.

compared to a raspberry pi .. e5 runs rings around it so many times it's not
funny and an rpi can do this easily enough. yes - jenkins adds infra cost
itself, but a single vm for linux builds (with multiple chroots) would consume
very little resources as it would only need a single build controller and just
spawn off scripts per build that do the chroot fun.

sure - need a vm for bsd, and windows and other OS's that can't do the chroot
trick.

> the hosting instances. Even still, current ressources are too limited.
> You will not be able to have more than 10 instances running at the same
> time.

10 build instances? if they are properly ionice'd and niced to be background
tasks vs www etc... i think we can,. they might take longer as the xeons are
old on the server, but they can do the task still. i regularly build efl/e on
hardware a tiny fraction of the power of e5.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com