Dan wrote:

 > Currently Ewl positions widgets based on absolute coordinates. This
 > works but isn't unnecessarily optional.  Thoughts on changing the
 > internals of Ewl to use parent relative placement of widgets?
 >
 > This would, hopefully, simplify some of the container code and allow
 > for more code re-use internally.
 >
 > We would need to convert all containers to a relative layout and
 > modify the theme system to map the coordinates properly.
 >
 > This would cause issues if we do need to place a widget absolutely,
 > as we'd need to walk the parent tree to figure out where we were,
 > but, how often we need to do this I'm not sure.
 >
 > Thoughts?
 > dan

    Don't know myself. But if this would be a useful internal
step to get something like a "canvas" container widget in ewl (and
etk) which would allow for arbitrary positioning of child widgets,
then that would be a great thing indeed.
    Such a canvas widget would give the toolkits some much
needed flexibility - allowing for things like widget/obj animations,
custom/arbitrary layout mechanisms much like evas does with smarts
(possibly via deriving other widgets from canvas), and a host of
other things. Very important for developing "rich" apps.