Michael Jennings wrote:
> On Saturday, 02 August 2008, at 10:52:08 (+1000),
> Carsten Haitzler wrote:
>

>> seems there's a few votes for keep of embryo. i'm going to just monitor the
>> sentiment here - i'm agnostic really - though edje needs a LOT better
>> "scripting" support. yes JS might be an option - python imho is just away too
>> big and heavy. existing efl bindings are not really useful as edje will have
>> wrap and hide most things - ie you set up a timer - edje needs to know so it
>> can delete the timer on edje object deletion. just an example. so it's pretty
>> much a level playing field based on:
>>
>> 1. efficiency of the language - the leaner/faster, the better
>> 2. actual language ease of use/documentation/facilities. etc.
>> 3. aptness of the language engine to embedding as a slave to a library for
>> doing code logic (ie be able to function fully sandboxed without any
>> features/calls and all calls are explicitly exported from edje).
>>
>> lua right now seems to be probably the candidate i've seen. embryo is a close
>> second (used to be better than lua).
>>

> Python is definitely too bulky and unstable (i.e., moving target).
> Perl is a stationary target but still too heavy.  Even JS might be too
> much, and it's not really a speed demon.
>
> I know rpm5 is using lua to great success.  It's clean, fast, and easy
> to embed.  I'll also reiterate my recommendation of ferite for the
> same reasons.  (I personally prefer ferite's syntax to lua's, but lua
> seems to have won the popularity contest.)

I'd also throw a vote out for ferite, the author of it was once involved
with E wasn't he?  If anything I know he'd be very interested with an
integration in edje as I've personally been asked by him if anyone had
considered it :)  I might even take a close look at lua and ferite so I
can make a more informed decision :)

Just so I'm aware, is there anything outstanding in lua that embryo
can't do?  Is it just the wide-spread usage of lua and it's
documentation that make it worth the switch or is it syntactically
better, provide better performance, etc?