On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:28:33 +1100
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> has anyone noticed... we have a mailing list... irc channel - for different
> purposes. one for instant chat, one for this kind of thing...
>
> now "flavor of the month" social networking sits split everyone more. people
> speak of "dont split the community". this does just that. facebook is a subset
> of the internet userbase. what about friendster? orkut? myspace? need i go on
> with the dozens of "social networking" sites we then all have to create "e
> groups/users/whatever" on.
>
> i dont say no - but i am raising the warning flag of just trying to be trendy.
> you are opening a pandoras box. i know i have gotten tired of these things. i
> get linked in and facebook invites almost daily. i'm tried of just clicking
> the
> link saying "yes" or going "who the hell are you - i don't know you?" and then
> proceeding to ignore the social network as almost no one actually uses it
> (other than trying to get their friend count higher to make them feel good).
>
> i know that i, for one, am not into the idea of having to "log in with my
> browser" to N different social networking sites each day just to "keep up with
> forums/messages/requests etc.". even a "web forum" is utterly annoying
> compared
> to a normal mailing list run by a proper mail client with good threading. i
> just dont bother participating  in even the web forums we ourselves had on
> e.org due to the fact that they just split the community and conversation,
> take
> extra time and effort to deal with on top of email, and also provide a far
> inferior usability level thus discouraging me at least from bothering (
>
> so by opening this pandoras box... you are doing a similar thing. you're
> thinning the community.
>
> so don't let me put a dampener on the whole social fun thing, but after years
> of linked in and facebook invites flooding my inbox and mostly amounting to
> nothing (or just more "join in a pointless facebook app like send a drink or
> send a kiss or send-a-hug or god knows what else...), i'm "over it". it's a
> time sink that removes whatever time i would have had for doing actual
> development :). for some of you this might be all new and shiny... but me
> - i happily skulk back to my email and irc windows :)
>
> (maybe.. we just need to be better about promoting/making it easy to use
> these?)

Thank you for your reply.
I understand your point of view, so I'll try to explain better mine.

0) There's no doubt that our primary ways to communicate are IRC and
mails;
1) Imho integrating IRC and mails with some social networks it's not
splitting the community, because the target audience isn't the same;
2) The use of social networks it is just for a "presence": quick
replies can be done in place (now i'm thinking about facebook), but
other conversations must be redirected to 0);

In general when I think about a way to grow the community, I keep
always in mind the flow of the informations: our generate the info,
people are notified about it, and the info points to the right place
where discuss about.

Thx again

Massimiliano
- --