On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Viktor Kojouharov
<vkojouha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been playing around with the making the bg_object pan on desk
> switch, instead of using transitions. To illustrate what I'm talking
> about, I made a rather crappy screencast (istanbul only seems to make
> 10fps screencasts, anyone have an alternative program?):
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glYLH3GSikE
>
> The idea is that the background slides depending on its size relative to
> the geometry of all desks, as well as a user specified factor. E.g.: if
> you have 2 horizontal desks of size 640x480, and a bg of size 1280x480,
> the background will slide at most by a half of its size. If the user
> specifies a factor below 1.0, the offset of the bg is smaller, creating
> a parallax effect. If the bg size is smaller, the total offset will be
> smaller, thus not causing the bg to scroll off boundary.
>
> I've currently implemented it with this patch. It is toggable by an
> option in the virtual desks settings dialog, which will override any
> preselected transition (since it doesn't use the same function). Speed
> is not blazing fast, but I'm not sure if it can be faster with just
> using the software engine (using the gl engine for the container is
> flicker free though).
>
> So what do you guys think of this idea?

Wow, very nice effect!

Now I'm thinking if it would be possible to have a wallpaper with many
layers, and some of them scroll more than others. This way you would
have an effect as if the near mountains move faster than the far ones
(giving an idea of depth)...

--
Rafael Antognolli