Hey,

>> another idea about trailing whitespaces : what about adding a rule in the
>> toplevel Makefile.am, named for example remove-ws, that call find with a
>> sed expression.
>>
>> I'll add it to Evil and test it a bit, and if nobody complains, i'll add
>> it to the EFL + e.
>
> While it is nice to get rid of trailing whitespaces, I think that actively
> removing them periodically does more harm than good. In particular, it adds a
> lot of noise in the history and makes it harder to compare different
> revisions.

I guess, the diff modes in the editors can be parametrized to ignore
whitespaces changes so I do not really think it is a big issue. I also
think that we should get rid of the trailing whitespaces.

by the way for emacs you can do meta-x whitespace-mode to show the
whitespaces and m-x whitespace-cleanup to get rid of them.

> If we indeed want to get rid of them, I'd be much happier if the SVN server
> simply rejected commits containing them (the same holds true for formatting -
> it's much better to ask people to submit properly formatted patches rather
> than
> going on a reformatting spree every now and then)

it is a bit extreme don't you think :-). My formatting is always off
(emacs behave oddly even when the e17 style is activated) so I always
spend time to correct it and having a tool doing that for you is
actually good.

Cheers

Mathieu