On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:34 AM, David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:31:13 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 18:20:38 -0300 "Eduardo Lima (Etrunko)"
>> <ebl...@gmail.com> said:
>>
>> > One thing I noticed when running some instances of terminology it
>> > that it is very processor hungry. For instance when running 'top'
>> > you may notice it figures among the first ones. This doesn't happen
>> > when you run top from gnome-terminal for instance.
>>
>> really? wow... are you sure u are using the same terminology i am?
>> the same efl? i have 3 terms (gnome, xterm, terminology) running, top
>> updates 1 time per second, sometimes xterm gets to 1%, sometim4es
>> gnome-terminal does, sometimes terminology - they are about the same.
>> just beware - gnome-terminal and xterm have the XSERVER do the text
>> rendering and draw, terminology is don't client-side in terminology.
>> (x just copies the pixels to the fb). a better comparison - have each
>> run top separately and measure system idle. i need to make it do
>> something otherwise i get 99.9% idle for all. so:
>>
>> top -d 0.01
>>
>> terminology: 93.3% idle
>> gnome-terminal: 94% idle
>> xterm: 92.2% idle
>>
>> really... they are all the same. :)

This is somehow related to the blinky blinky cursor. When the window
is focused, terminology can get as much as 10% CPU using the default
theme. With mild, it will be a bit less, around 8%. And there is no
need to be running top on terminology window. Just leave it pulsing
and run top on another terminal and you will see.

> Opening up terminology and running it on a smaller window over the top
> of much larger roxterm window, my usual terminal these days, I get 9 to
> 11% cpu usage for terminology, and 1% for roxterm.  Running top on both
> at the same time.  Getting the same when I run top on each individually,
> with the idle terminal not even registering enough CPU to show up on the
> screen. This is with terminology using DejaVu Sans Mono font.
>
> With Terminus-12 font terminology runs a little faster, steady at 8%.
>
> For some odd reason, Monospace, the font I use in roxterm, does not
> show up in the terminology font selector.  On the other hand
> Terminus-12 does not show up on roxterm, but that's a terminology
> built in font?  So I changed roxterm to use Dejavu Sans Mono for a more
> direct comparison. Roxterm then started using between 1 and 4%, but
> mostly the 1% end of that range.
>
> Note that for this test the roxterm window is over four times the area
> of the terminology window, and showing twice the number of lines for
> top.
>
> This is terminology as compiled late last night.  Only the font was
> changed.
>
> System idle is not a good test here, I run servers with random loads.
> Someone from the USA walking around a virtual world here in Australia is
> likely to ruin any system idle tests.  lol
>
> I likely have gnome-terminal installed, as this is Ubuntu and it tends
> to break stuff when you try to remove the crap it installs by default.
> I also got xterm installed.
>
> xterm is consistently clocking in faster than roxterm at 1% to
> "0%" (more precision needed, but does not matter), even when I make it
> the same size. Changing xterms font looks complicated, so I did not
> bother.
>
> Gnome-terminal seems to be between xterm and roxterm, though sometimes
> peaking a percentage point above roxterm, and sometimes getting as fast
> as xterm.  Note, Gnome-terminal also shows the Monospace font that
> Terminology does not, but I did the test in DejaVu Sans Mono.
>
> Really not a lot to pick speed wise between gnome-terminal, roxterm,
> and xterm.  Terminology is much slower than all three, even in a much
> smaller window. Increasing the terminology window to the same size as
> the others and I'm getting 12 to 14% cpu usage.
>
> The difference in how they render text might be responsible, but I
> can't bring down my servers just to do that sort of test.

If this has something to do with fonts, I'm currently using Liberation Mono, 11.

--
Eduardo de Barros Lima
ebl...@gmail.com