On Fri, Jan 11, 2013, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:59:48 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> said:
>
> > On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 11:51:04 +0900 Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr>
> > wrote:

> > > Cross compilation is faster as far as I know for windows :-)
> >
> > Vincent's Windows stuff was made to cross compile with mingw under
> > Linux.  That's the main delivery method he used.  So no need for a
> > Windows license to compile it.  And as Cedric said, at least that means
> > we can make sure compiling is not broken.  Leave the result easily
> > downloaded, and I'm sure people will download it to test it on their
> > expensive Windows installs.
>
> but we can't make sure that compiling *ON* windows is not broken. we also
> can't
> verify if it runs properly or not (missing symbols, modules simply not loading
> at all etc.).

Don't worry about missing symbols, there can be no undefined symbols in
DLLs (that's in the design of the PE loader).

Anyway, I get your point and I agree that's a goal but it's much more
work.

However it is *cross*-compilation which is way cleaner and nicer than
compiling from something on windows.

Various thoughts as bullet points:

- building from cygwin to windows (not to cygwin) is cross-compilation

- building from msys to windows (not to msys) is cross-compilation

- msys is a big ugly hack (a fork of cygwin and a never-upstreamed fork
  of gcc 2.95 or 2.96 to add a specific target)

- msys is a bastard in the first meaning of the name: it's a tentative
  mix of windows and posix, a guess of what comes from which, goes where
  and how it should be translated

- buildbots on msys and cygwin will probably never be able to handle the
  load because of how slow they will be (iirc it took Vincent 10 times
  longer to build elementary from msys) and a ccache would probably make
  things worse

- wine is working well enough to provide a good testing platform (I'm
  not saying that would replace tests on windows however)

- vnc and rdesktop will have a much bigger impact on the rendering than
  wine

- you can perfectly build on linux, test on windows and for that you can
  easily use the evaluation editions of windows; they have limitations
  but should be enough/perfect for tests

tl;dr: msys and cygwin are cross-compilation anyway, both will make
building too slow, msys is crap, wine is better than you seem to think
and will make it possible to check the rendering and testing could be
done through VMs with eval versions of windows.

--
Adrien Nader