On 10/03/16 12:44, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 07:51:01 +0100 Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de> said:

>>> since there are no {}'s then you end up with (with 4 spaces):
>>>
>>> blahblah(xxx)
>>>      blah2whatever(yyy)
>>>      blah3boo(zzz)
>>>          wootwoot(x)
>>>              boobooboo(7)
>>>          weee(y)
>>>      abracadabra(hey)
>>>
>>> with 2 it just looks nicer:
>>>
>>> blahblah(xxx)
>>>    blah2whatever(yyy)
>>>    blah3boo(zzz)
>>>      wootwoot(x)
>>>        boobooboo(7)
>>>      weee(y)
>>>    abracadabra(hey)
>>>
>>> each indent comes out at a "visually" approximate 45 degrees due to general
>>> font sizing. also it's far nicer on the typer if they have to indent - hit
>>> space twice not 4 times. sure you COULD modify your editor to make tab == 4
>>> spaces and force that BUT then you break your editor for the rest of the
>>> unix world that has agreed on tab == 8 spaces. windows thinks tab == 4
>>> spaces. so - make people hit space 4 times instead of 2? why? that's a bit
>>> silly.
>>
>> Normally people don't hit space 4 times, normally they have there editor
>> configured so that the tab key inserts 4 spaces rather then a \t :)
>
> that is what i said.. and they have it configured to 8 spaces because that is
> the standard (except on windows), so they have to reconfigure their editor
> JUSt
> for this... or they have fucked up tab sizes as now tab != 8 spaces for many
> documents... so they are going to be stuck really hitting space 4 times or
> dealing with the above pain.

I don't know what backwards editor you're using (well, I do), but for me
it's very easy to change configuration per project (and I do), and
anyhow tabs are 4 spaces for me by default (my configuration).

I'm forced to do very bad things to my configuration just to write code
for the EFL because the EFL uses crazy weird indentation rules, so that
same logic already doesn't apply for the EFL.

--
Tom.