On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 07:51:01 +0100 Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de> said:

> On 03/10/2016 02:14 AM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> >> Well 4 is what most of the civilized world has agreed / standardized on
> >> so I guess its not going to be that :P
> >>
> >> On a more serious note, as someone who's brain is more visual spacial
> >> oriented and much prefers and finds it much easyer to look at shapes and
> >> colors rather then a wall of text 4 is significantly easier to read but
> >> if were going to keep doing the crazyness of indenting braces then 2 is
> >> fine because it really ends up being 4 ie
> >>
> >> if (bob.isABogan())
> >>   {
> >>     doSomething();
> >>   }
> >>
> >> is pretty similar to what a "Normal person" would do
> >>
> >> if (bob.isABogan())
> >> {
> >>     doSomething();
> >> }
> >
> > since there are no {}'s then you end up with (with 4 spaces):
> >
> > blahblah(xxx)
> >     blah2whatever(yyy)
> >     blah3boo(zzz)
> >         wootwoot(x)
> >             boobooboo(7)
> >         weee(y)
> >     abracadabra(hey)
> >
> > with 2 it just looks nicer:
> >
> > blahblah(xxx)
> >   blah2whatever(yyy)
> >   blah3boo(zzz)
> >     wootwoot(x)
> >       boobooboo(7)
> >     weee(y)
> >   abracadabra(hey)
> >
> > each indent comes out at a "visually" approximate 45 degrees due to general
> > font sizing. also it's far nicer on the typer if they have to indent - hit
> > space twice not 4 times. sure you COULD modify your editor to make tab == 4
> > spaces and force that BUT then you break your editor for the rest of the
> > unix world that has agreed on tab == 8 spaces. windows thinks tab == 4
> > spaces. so - make people hit space 4 times instead of 2? why? that's a bit
> > silly.
>
> Normally people don't hit space 4 times, normally they have there editor
> configured so that the tab key inserts 4 spaces rather then a \t :)

that is what i said.. and they have it configured to 8 spaces because that is
the standard (except on windows), so they have to reconfigure their editor JUSt
for this... or they have fucked up tab sizes as now tab != 8 spaces for many
documents... so they are going to be stuck really hitting space 4 times or
dealing with the above pain.