On 03/10/2016 02:14 AM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 15:44:57 +0100 Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de> said:

>>> :-P~
>>
>> Well 4 is what most of the civilized world has agreed / standardized on
>> so I guess its not going to be that :P
>>
>> On a more serious note, as someone who's brain is more visual spacial
>> oriented and much prefers and finds it much easyer to look at shapes and
>> colors rather then a wall of text 4 is significantly easier to read but
>> if were going to keep doing the crazyness of indenting braces then 2 is
>> fine because it really ends up being 4 ie
>>
>> if (bob.isABogan())
>>   {
>>     doSomething();
>>   }
>>
>> is pretty similar to what a "Normal person" would do
>>
>> if (bob.isABogan())
>> {
>>     doSomething();
>> }
>
> since there are no {}'s then you end up with (with 4 spaces):
>
> blahblah(xxx)
>     blah2whatever(yyy)
>     blah3boo(zzz)
>         wootwoot(x)
>             boobooboo(7)
>         weee(y)
>     abracadabra(hey)
>
> with 2 it just looks nicer:
>
> blahblah(xxx)
>   blah2whatever(yyy)
>   blah3boo(zzz)
>     wootwoot(x)
>       boobooboo(7)
>     weee(y)
>   abracadabra(hey)
>
> each indent comes out at a "visually" approximate 45 degrees due to general
> font sizing. also it's far nicer on the typer if they have to indent - hit
> space twice not 4 times. sure you COULD modify your editor to make tab == 4
> spaces and force that BUT then you break your editor for the rest of the unix
> world that has agreed on tab == 8 spaces. windows thinks tab == 4 spaces. so -
> make people hit space 4 times instead of 2? why? that's a bit silly.

Normally people don't hit space 4 times, normally they have there editor
configured so that the tab key inserts 4 spaces rather then a \t :)

Is the following still legal syntax, as I find that much easier to read
(Not sure if i'll ever have to read / write it though.

blahblah(xxx)

     blah2whatever(yyy)
     blah3boo(zzz)

         wootwoot(x)