Hello.

On 05/06/16 14:27, Tom Hacohen wrote:
> On 05/06/16 10:47, Tom Hacohen wrote:
>> On 04/06/16 00:24, Cedric BAIL wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just would like to start a thread regarding what is still pending
>>> for next release and what we should do about it. First let's start
>>> with what is not ready :
>>> - Most of the elementary widgets have not been renamed correctly to be
>>> in efl.ui namespace.
>>> - Edje and Elm.Layout have not been refactorized and properly
>>> inherited from each other.
>>> - Text interface is not there (this impact also entry, label and edje).
>>> - Genlist is also not there.
>>> - All eo object still needs a proper cleanup and use of own().
>>> - Uri manager is not there.
>>> - Color/Color_Class is not there.
>>> - Efl photocam is not there.
>>> - Efl video is not there.
>>> - Efl.Ui.Window is not there.
>>> - Efl.Ui.Focus cleanup is not there.
>>>
>>> Sone of the above have patch in review process that may land before
>>> Monday morning, but I prefer to just give the current status as I may
>>> not have time this weekend as I am moving. Also most of the API that
>>> have landed so far have not been tested in any real application and we
>>> don't really if they do fit their purpose (making life easier).
>>>
>>> It is obvious to me, and I am pretty to sure to everyone involved in
>>> the development of 1.18 that we can not do an alpha while some of the
>>> biggest change are not there yet. Now the question is should we delay
>>> the alpha ? Or should we make the alpha a technical preview followed
>>> by an alpha later on ? Should we just move on and delay the above
>>> change for 1.19, in which case all the new API need to remain BETA.
>>> Also if we do delay, how much longer is needed for a release ? Isn't
>>> it going to drag on ?
>>>
>>> Oh and did I miss anything in the above list ?
>>>
>> Also:
>>
>> eo->efl renaming, not a biggie, but needs to be done.
>> As for text, we hope to be done with it by next Tuesday.
>>
>> I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind.
> Another thing that is kinda related to the first item on your list: we
> need to make sure to remove all of the evas/edje/elm whatever references
> in our eo files and class names. For example, Efl.Canvas.Text still
> inherits from Evas.Object, which is bad.

All of the above are exception for the current freeze. Plus the eolian
work from Daniel which I was told will not effect our C API at all.

While I find this unsettling and unfair to have a freeze for some parts
and not for other I hope people can life with it this time. The problem
is that the interface work is done far enough that we can't really back
it out anymore. :/

Please guys keep me updated on what is done from this list and what
still missing. Moved the alpha from this week to next and will hopefully
get a snapshot out this week to get at least some people test all the
repo merges we did from a packager and user perspective.

regards
Stefan Schmidt