On 09/13/2016 07:07 PM, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> On 14/09/16 00:13, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
>> On 09/13/2016 05:58 PM, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>> The current Debian maintainer has been missing, but supposedly returning
>> soon.
>
> Soon as in this year?

Yep, that's what I've heard - of course people's plans change, so who
knows for sure.

>> Soon, I hope we'll be able to get these into the archive.
>
> I have seen you mention this before and I wonder how realistic this hope
> is. Are you a Debian Developer or maintainer? Do you have a sponsor that
> would sponsor your non packager uploads?

No, I am not a DD or DM.  But I think I could find a sponsor.  I've been
waiting for Albin - he's expressed interest to me to be involved, and
I'd like to wait.  But if it doesn't pan out, I don't think it's the end
of the road.

I think your pessimism is fair, but hope to help improve the situation.

>> Hypothesis: E17 on EFL 1.8 might be old, but it's reasonably stable and
>> useful.  So end-users that do not follow EFL development might not
>> know/care about new features.  Those that do probably build from source.
>
> You think these users do also not care about bug fixes and security
> fixes? You know many people that are using efl 1.8 and e17 and are happy
> that Debian does not update to newer versions?

Oh I don't think anyone is happy about it - I haven't been.  But that
doesn't mean it's been impossible to get by.

 > I talk about Debian unstable here and not some years old
 > release. (I have been using Debian SID myself for over 10 years and
 > at that point packages have been updated when new versions came out)

If you have time and interest, I'd be happy to get bug/success reports
on the packages so far.

Ross