On Tue, 22 May 2007 14:01:16 -0400 Christopher Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> >> This is neither more nor less than is put in place with a "make
> >> DESTDIR=$tempdir install", where tempdir is then turned into a .tar.gz
> >> containing the above files.  If it's sloppy packaging, it's sloppy
> >> installing on the part of the Makefile.  Or is there a reason that I
> >> should exclude specific files that "make install" has included?
> >
> > yes. modules should exclude *.a files. libtool insists on creating them and
> > installing them because it thinks its needed as we will then use them
> > (libtldl in theory can in combination with module.la). note that the sample
> > package files for e17 remove any .a's for modules
> > same for evas and emotion.
> >
> >> David Moore
> Raster,
>
> I do have to (respectfully) disagree with you on this one. I just
> checked the "official" E modules installations, and they are also
> installing module.a files in /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/<module>.

that's what i said. libtool insists on creating AND installing them. it's
partof libtool and how it decides to build and install things when it comes to
loadable modules. it ASSUMEs we will use libltdl to load them. libltdl CAN
load ".a" files if you also have a ".la" file - for systems that do
not support .so's. thankfully for us - we don't care about systems that do NOT
support .so's (if you have one - too bad. it probably should have died long
ago, like 20 years ago). libtool is just being utterly stupid with
regards to modules. packages should strip .a's and 'la's for modules out. unless
you know some magic hidden libtool foo that will stop this from happening? i
have yet to find/know of any.

> dh

裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)