On Mon 01 August 2011 23:04:23 Wido did opine thusly:
> <troll=on>
> Ok, this must be the dumbest thread ever
> </troll>
>
> Don't mean to be an ass....but just for a moment, follow my thoughs
>
> For the time beeing, enlightenment is not a WM that casual users
> choose to be with. And from those who does, not everybody is
> submitted to this list. No, I don't have evidence, just common
> sense.
>
> So, from this reduced group of people on this list, I sure everybody
> here is smart enought to difference 'reply' from 'reply-all'
>
> I know that 'reflex' and 'used-to' is what we all do (myself
> included), but I don't think that justify whining if the mail
> header foo or bar, or if it's doing 'replay-to-user' instead of
> 'reply-to-list'
>
> Honestly, how many of you hit the 'reply' instead of 'reply-all'? if
> there is a bunch of people CC'd, I ussually want all of them to
> receive my mail. And if I want to say something specific, I pay
> attention to the 'reply' button (not to mention, I can always send
> a separated mail)
>

> I'm re-reading my mail and I know that I sound like 15 yeards old
> a**h*le (and I apologize because I hate when a**h*les writes flaim
> posts), but I still think this is a dumb thread

Reply-Munging Considered Harmful
and
Not Reply-Munging Considering Harmful
threads are always dumb as neither suits modern usage. The real fix is
to fix mailers and provide "Reply to List" and "Reply to Author"
support. Mailman already puts x-ListId headers there for that purpose

Until that is done, any fix will do what you want only about 50% of the
time.

> cheers!
>
> 2011/8/1 Iván Briano (Sachiel) <sachi...@gmail.com>
>
> > 2011/8/1 Michael Jennings <m...@kainx.org>:

> > > This is incorrect.  Adding reply-to is bad behavior.  Here's
> > > why:
> > >
> > > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
> > >
> > > The most important reason being that it becomes essentially
> > > impossible for most e-mail clients, including GMail, to
> > > public posts which were not meant to be, among other
> > > things.
> > >
> > > It boggles my mind how people who've been using e-mail for
> > > 15+ years have managed to go this long without ever having
> > > to reply to more than the original sender of an e-mail. :-P

> > > It shouldn't be.  What *should* happen is that you determine
> > > to whom you wish to reply and then take appropriate action.
> > >  Yes, this requires thought.  Most worthwhile things do.

> > > How?  How does one override it?  Most e-mail clients only
> > > have 2 options:  Reply and Reply All.  There is no "Reply
> > > to Author" button in the majority of cases.
> > >
> > > Michael
> >
> > Not counting that CC lists get fucked up and people that
> > uses them to keep track of threads they are involved with
> > can no longer do so.
> >
> > > --
> > > Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/
> > > <m...@kainx.org> Linux Server/Cluster Admin, LBL.gov
> > > Author, Eterm (www.eterm.org)
> > >  "I know I could have saved our love that night if I'd
> > >  known what to say.  Instead of making love, we both made
> > >  our separate ways.  Now I hear you've found somebody new
> > >  and that I never meant that much to you.  To hear that
> > >  tears me up inside, and to see you cuts me like a knife."
> > >                  -- Poison, "Every Rose Has Its Thorn">
> > > sers>
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com