pe...@silmaril.ie ha scritto il 02/10/2014 alle 11:22:

> Settings>Modules has no category for networking, and there is nothing
> called connman anywhere in the categories shown.

It should be in the system category and be named "Connection manager"
(Conn-Man means just that: CONNection MANager).

> So in a moment of rashness I installed the Xubuntu connman,
> connman-doc, connman-dev, and connman-debug packages, which forced the
> removal of the network-manager packages. Not a sensible thing to do,
> because once I power down, my connection will not come back.

Connman normally should connect automatically to anything it knows,
including wired networks via dhcp and wifi networks which do not require
authentication. Of course it requires an input to connect to protected
wifi networks.

> connman appears to be just a daemon, with a very sparse man page, so
> it's unclear to me (a) how to tell it to do something, and (b) what
> inside e17 is supposed to talk to it.

Yes, connamn is a daemon so you need a frontend to interact with it.
That frontend can be the e17 gadget, or the separate package
connman-ui-gtk (which goes in the system tray when launched), or even
the very basic command line tool connmanctl that should be included in
the connman package, so already installed.

>>> This is not a mandatory packages as this package only provides UI
>>> for connman, a network manager used in E17 DE. Basically, the
>>> default connman is
>>> enough for daily usage as you only have to click
>
> This is the core problem: click on WHAT? connman is daemon and a
> command-line program, not a GUI app. This is the bit I'm missing.

Click on the gadget, after you've loaded it and added it in a shelf. You
will then see a popup with all available networks, just click on one and
you're online.

--
Massimo Maiurana
Ragusa (RG)