miércoles 7 de octubre de 2015 a las 19:56, David Myers wrote:

> Hello all,

> I'm using E17 on Debian8 (jessie).

> I've noticed that I am not able to 'unmount' usb flashdrives (or any
> other external HDD I plug into a usb port).
>
> I've read around the net that e's filemanager with auto mount and auto
> unmount drives when I open it. However I regularly use external drives,
> and don't always want (or need) to open them with e's filemanager, and
> often would like to leave my system running and my file manager open and
> still eject my disk.
>
> I've read about some 'places viewer' plugin type thing, but I can't
> find it anywhere in the repo's for debian,
>
> currently I've gone back to lxde, but miss the look and feel of
> enlightenment (ie sparse and geeky feeling), and there are a number of
> things about the desktop that made life really easy (for me).
>
> If there is anyone out there with a solution to this I would love to
> know it, but for now it is a bit of a show stopper for me.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> David

Hi David,

Is it that you do not want to mount those drives in the first place, or would
like to unmount them?

I know that in E19 (and I assume E17), you can set EFM to *not* mount drives
automatically. See Settings > File Manager > Device and uncheck "Mount volumes
on insertion".

What I have noticed in E19 is that I can unmount external devices, but not
always eject them (pen drives yes; most external HDDs, no).

If you are unable to unmount them in Debian (I'm on Manjaro), there are two
options. First, perhaps someone could suggest a simple bash script that would
work the magic outside of EFM. Second, simply use another FM. EFM is not the
greatest FM around (and intolerably slow on a 32-bit machine until about 6
months ago) and there are a lot of good ones out there. I have used
DoubleCommander for over a year in part because it automatically mounts the Win
partitions on my dual-boot machine -- and I love the dual pane managers.
SpaceFM is similar and much lighter. You can also install LXDE's PCmanFM or
XFCE's Thunar. (The irony in all these suggestions is that although I now
sometimes use EFM, I have mostly kept it active for mounting and unmounting
external drives!)

By the way, the Places module is constantly criticised for not playing nice in
E, so Debian may not have elected to include in in the repositories.

I hope some of these ramblings help.

Best,
Roy