On Friday 15 Jan 2016 09:41:06 Larry Wyble wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 09:51:51 +0900
>
> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> > the problem is youa re editing a SYSTEM SUPPLIED desktop file. e is
> > expecting that to edit..l you edit one that belongs to you (that you
> > created). thus it is trying to mess with system paths not in $HOME.
> > yes - it likely should duplicate the desktop file into $HOME THEN
> > edit. but it doesn't.
>
> So, dude.. (yes I said dude, I'm 66 years old and I said dude, lol)
> dude, is there a work around?  :)

As already suggested, the workaround is to:

a) define a theme for icons:

Settings/Look/Application Theme/Icons

Select different themes from there until you find something that provides
icons to your liking.

> > > Why are so many apps missing icons? Terminal is the most
> > > obvious...
> >
> > you havent selected an icon theme? the one selected is invalid or not
> > there? configure an icon theme.
> >
> > > This is under Ubuntu 15.04 and 15.10, but it does htis under 14* as
> > > well.
> > >
> > > ///Peter

b) If a particular application does not have an icon, you can define your own.

Create a file under ~/.local/share/applications/<name>.desktop with your
preferred icon and path to the application, or point to your icon of choice
under /usr/share/icons/

--
Regards,
Mick