On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 22:22:14 +0000 Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> said:

> On 01/15/2016 12:51 AM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 21:29:40 +0000 Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> said:
> [...]
> > the problem is you are editing a SYSTEM SUPPLIED desktop file.
>
> I am? I wasn't aware of that.
>
> > e is expecting
> > that to edit..l you edit one that belongs to you (that you created).
>
> I think this probably needs documenting. Did you mean that to add an
> icon to an icon-less application in the IBar, I should first create some
> file?

no - i was talking about the "cannot write to file in /usr/share/..." thing.

> > thus it is
> > trying to mess with system paths not in $HOME. yes - it likely should
> > duplicate the desktop file into $HOME THEN edit. but it doesn't.
>
> I don't know how the IBar works, so I don't know what it has to do with
> desktop files. But yes, it sounds like you are right.

it displays a LISt of desktop files. ll it is is a single file in a dir that
lists desktop file names. e "finds them" in the search path for desktop files.
wherever they happen to be.

> >> Why are so many apps missing icons? Terminal is the most obvious...
> >>
> > you havent selected an icon theme?
>
> I'm not clear what relevance a theme has here. There is only one theme,
> the default, it seems to be called "Dark".

no - ICON theme. not theme. settings -> look -> application theme -> icons

> The problem I describe occurs in a freshly-installed system (Ubuntu
> 14.4) immediately after installing e17 (and logging out and back in with
> e). No configuration has taken place yet. There is no choice of themes
> (that I am aware of).

there is - as above. the problem is e has a default configured theme that you
don't have installed thus it's ending up not finding icons. select one and
you'll be fine.

> > the one selected is invalid or not there?
> > configure an icon theme.
>
> I can't see where to do this: there is nothing about icon themes in
> Settings > Settings Panel.

yes there is. settings -> look application theme -> icons

> In any case, I'm not clear why should I configure a theme in order to
> make an application in the IBar have an icon. The icons should be
> present by default but many are missing.

because of the XDG theme spec. if the configured theme does not exist - we
can't use its configured fallbacks. an icon theme specifies what theme(s) to
fall back on to next if it doesnt contain an icon for that. if the theme is not
there there is no data to read for a fallback.