On 01/15/2016 12:51 AM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 21:29:40 +0000 Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> said:
[...]
> the problem is you are editing a SYSTEM SUPPLIED desktop file.

I am? I wasn't aware of that.

> e is expecting
> that to edit..l you edit one that belongs to you (that you created).

I think this probably needs documenting. Did you mean that to add an
icon to an icon-less application in the IBar, I should first create some
file?

> thus it is
> trying to mess with system paths not in $HOME. yes - it likely should
> duplicate
> the desktop file into $HOME THEN edit. but it doesn't.

I don't know how the IBar works, so I don't know what it has to do with
desktop files. But yes, it sounds like you are right.

>> Why are so many apps missing icons? Terminal is the most obvious...
>>
> you havent selected an icon theme?

I'm not clear what relevance a theme has here. There is only one theme,
the default, it seems to be called "Dark".

The problem I describe occurs in a freshly-installed system (Ubuntu
14.4) immediately after installing e17 (and logging out and back in with
e). No configuration has taken place yet. There is no choice of themes
(that I am aware of).

> the one selected is invalid or not there?
> configure an icon theme.

I can't see where to do this: there is nothing about icon themes in
Settings > Settings Panel.

In any case, I'm not clear why should I configure a theme in order to
make an application in the IBar have an icon. The icons should be
present by default but many are missing.

1. right-click on an icon in the IBar
2. pick IBar
3. pick Contents

Look at the list of applications: many icons are missing. This is the
problem. If you add one of those applications to the IBar, it appears
with no icon.

///Peter