On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 22:49:15 -0400 Conrad Knight <iestynap...@gmail.com> said:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 10:52 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
> wrote:
> > it should be. though it may have found another one somewhere more preferable
> > first?
>
> I did find one other, very old one, oddly called
> "terminology:terminology.desktop". But i deleted that before logging
> out and back in again.
>
> Ok, rebooted. Now the desktop file is being read as usual on every
> login. But even with the -s flag, the problem persists.

is it actually running terminology -s ?

are you sure there isn't yet another desktop file with terminology commands in
it?

> > disable the multiple instance thing in behavior and it should work.
>
> Oh, i see! it's a terminology setting in the settings menu itself.
> Sorry, being dense :) I found the setting... and it was off. I tried

yes. that setting.

> turning it on, and running terminology from the command line again:
> new window appears, with a new process. So it seems that setting is
> being ignored when run from the command line (in an existing
> terminology window)? I turned the setting off again and the behaviour
> is unchanged: running from the command line gives me a new window,
> running from the applications menu just moves focus to the existing
> window.

it may be your environment is missing env vars or has different XDG vars like
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR? if the 2 processes have differing XDG_RUNTIME_DIR dirs... then
this might happen,. they think they are in differing "runtimes". maybe one with
and one without XDG_RUNTIME_DIR ?