On 24/08/18 11:24, Mick wrote:
> On Friday, 24 August 2018 10:40:43 BST Peter Flynn wrote:
>> I didn't think that any Linux worked with touch screen devices. I looked
>> last year, as I was in the market for a new laptop, and I reckoned it
>> would be 4–5 years before the hardware would be stable enough to write
>> for it in an open source environment where you don't have commercial
>> access to the APIs or privileged access to the specs.
>
> Suits me, I detest thumbprints on screens!  ;-)

I've been known to "help" a user by leaning over their shoulder to touch
something on their screen, only to find theirs isn't a touchscreen...

>> Bryce is being renamed, apparently. That's probably good. It's called a
>> dock or a toolbar usually.
>
> Whatever it may be called, how is Bryce launched?  I don't see it under
> extensions, shelves, modules, gadgets in Settings.  :-/

It's not. It's under Menu > Desktop > Add Bryce, presumably because it's
an entirely separate system from any of the existing shelf/ibar-related
extensions/shelves/modules/gadgets.

The setup asks you to select screen edge (T/B/L/R), position (left/top,
middle/centre, or right/bottom), opacity, auto-resize (yes), auto-hide
(yes), and the mysterious "Do not stack above windows" which I left
untouched as I don't understand its implications, because a dock/toolbar
doesn't "stack", it pops up and pops away.

That gives you a rudimentary dock like a Mac (which is why I like it so
much). When you run an application from the normal menus, its icon
appears in the bryce and you can right-click it and pick (+) to add it
permanently. Repeat for your primary applications.

For the gadets, place your mouse pointer on any of the icons and then
use Alt-rightclick and pick Bryce > Gadgets. The Gadgets panel uses
floating-drag, so you click and release and the selected gadget becomes
sticky so you can drag it *without* holding down the mouse button, and
drop it onto the bryce where you want it.

One of the gadgets is a whole block of icons of popular applications, so
you might want to start with that rather than adding them all individually.

///Peter