On 8/5/06, Tom Pfeiffer, discombobulated, unleashed:

>For me, the benefit of RAW is exposure control. Once I've tweaked the
>exposure until I'm happy with it, then it's time to make a JPG (or TIFF) for
>further manipulation. Yes, you lose quality with a JPG, but it's
>progressive, not all at once. But the files need to be in a format that
>editing software can deal with in order to print them.

There is also the point about printers. Viz:

I shoot a RAW pic and (say) save it as a Photoshop file (.psd). I shoot
the same pic as a best quality JPEG and save it as a .psd as well.
(Assume exposure is fine and both pics have no blown highlights or
clogged up blacks). I print both on my S9000 and I dare you to tell the
two apart.

Yes the best thing about RAW is exposure control after-the-fact, but to
be honest I shoot JPEG 99% of the time because my end result is a print
from a printer that cannot out-resolve the original.

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__