On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 16:02:04 +0200
Germano Massullo <germano.massu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The following message concerns darktable major update 2.x (actually on
> EPEL7 = 1.6.x)
> My interpretation of EPEL packaging guidelines [1] is that the major
> update darktable 2.x should be pushed as a darktable2 package [2].

In some cases yeah.

> Moreover, once you read XML files (generated by darktable) of photos
> using darktable 2.x, you will not be any longer able to use them with
> darktable 1.6.x
> Kalev Lember said [3] about [1]:
> ======
> I think this applies mostly to libraries in order to keep ABI/API
> stable in EPEL. I don't think the policy is meant to keep leaf
> desktop apps on old, unsupported versions forever.
> ======
> Since Kalev is a reliable member of the community, I want to listen to
> his suggestion, but since I am not 100% sure, I would like to ask for
> a feedback from EPEL mailing list members.

Well, we need more information (or at least I do):

* Is 1.x still supported by upstream?

* is 1.x still supported by anyone else (rhel, other lts distros,
  people you could work with on backporting fixes).

* Are there any known 1.x security issues?

* Is the upgrade from 1.x to 2.x transparent for the user? ie, would
  they have to do any manual steps to move config? or is that all done
  by the application?

* Is the "user experence" different between 1.x and 2.x?

kevin