On Aug 21, 2008, at 5:48 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
On Aug 21, 2008, at 5:39 PM, Peter Michaux wrote:
How do outsiders know which proposals have reached committee
consensus?
I said that many on the committee were in favor, notionally and in
some details, of much of JS1.7's "convenience features", and some
beyond:
let as new var
destructuring assignment and binding forms
generators (modulo keyword issue)
expression closures
spread operator
rest parameters
optional parameters
Of course, consensus (meaning "general agreement") and "many ... were
in favor" are not the same thing. It's not over till the spec is
frozen by Ecma well in advance of a General Assembly vote, and then
on to ISO. Still, it's important to build consensus where possible,
not throw everything open. That's what I meant by "not everything is
a blank slate."
You mentioned how consensus could be spoiled easily in as large a
committee as we have, and you're right: that's a risk. I hope we'll
avoid it. If we get stuck, we'll have to back away from the sticky
proposal. Some members may implement it to prove fitness and test
against real developers (Decimal should be done this way, IMHO).
If all proposals get stuck, I'll cry shenanigans, because I do not
believe that the strong technical contributors we have on committee,
who all share values around lexical scope and dynamic typing, will
get stuck without someone putting glue on chairs -- if you get what I
mean :-/.
/be
_______________________________________________
Es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss